This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to restore login screen to defaults? [SOLVED]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
HP Pavilion dv8000, amd64, Debian wheezy.
Latest KDE version loaded from Debian repos.
I experienced an abnormal shutdown.
After that the apps that were open in previous session kept starting on boot,
Tried to correct this problem by selecting "Start with an empty session" in Session Management.
The apps did not load again, but my login screen was replaced by something else.
I have been in the login screen applet in System Settings, set everything to default, it is still not the same as it was.
This is weird because I have a netbook with similar settings, so I looked at the settings and set them to same, yet the login screen in the amd64 will not go back to the settings it had upon install.
Both are set to default, I never touched those settings in the netbook.

Last edited by ckosloff on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans
Administrator
OS
"Start with an empty session" shouldn't be related to how your login screen looks like. Are you sure you didn't change anything else, such as the login manager or login theme?

Can you take a screenshot/picture of the login screen or describe how it looks like now, and how it looked like before?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
I have pictures of before and after the crash, but don't see any option on this forum for upload.
However, rest assured that I did not do anything apart from checking "start with an empty session" in Session Management.
My netbook never crashed and login screen looks fine, just like my amd 64 machine did before the crash.
I look at the settings and they are the same, so something must be corrupted in amd64.
I updated a while ago my machine on the wheezy repos, the login package was upgraded but the image is still the same for me.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately I can't offer image uploads, so you have to upload them somewhere else first (e.g. imgur) and link here.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
http://ckosloff.imgur.com/all/
The image with the transparent blue image is taken from my netbook's login screen.
The other one is my amd64 login screen, after the crash, before the crash it looked like the blue one.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Imgur claims "ckosloff's images are not publicly available".

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
Should be fixed now.
Sorry, new to imgur.
Alternatively you can download from here http://hardwarealien.com/kde/
Thank you.
Hans
Administrator
OS
(Here's the link to the Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/s2who)

Looks like the KDM theme has changed, check System Settings -> Login Screen -> Theme.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The theme you previously had was called "Oxygen Air".

KDE Sysadmin
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
I did restore login screen to Oxygen Air, thank you very much for the quick responses.
There are some bugs there.
I tried to install theme Cube Two, button marked it installed but I could never see it in the list of themes that I could load.
Install of KDM Horos failed because of access denied to that website.
Just to let you know.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
With regards to the Horos theme - the only way that can be fixed is by commenting on the kde-apps.org page for that theme.

For the Cube Two theme - it could have failed to unpack - or had insufficient permission to be installed.

KDE Sysadmin
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:For the Cube Two theme - it could have failed to unpack - or had insufficient permission to be installed.

Please let me know what is the download directory for those themes.
If Cube Two failed to unpack (I tried twice) I want to delete it from my system, it would be an orphaned file.
I cannot understand how to give it permissions to install, I certainly cannot login as root to do so, since then the theme would only be available for that user.
Thanks again.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It should have (in theory at least) asked for permission at some point of the install process. The archive itself was likely downloaded to /tmp. With regards to the actual installation (the Get New Themes) window should offer an option to uninstall the theme.

KDE Sysadmin
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for all answers.
I still have one more question to ask.
In the netbook, the one that did not crash, my user name is automatically populated on boot.
In the computer that crashed, I have to fill in manually.
This may be due to the fact that, in order to get rid of apps that were starting on boot, I set Session Management to Start Empty Session.
Since then, I tried the other two options to no avail, it always asks for user name.
How fix, please?
google01103
Manager
systemsettings -> login screen -> convenience -> preselect user (and you'd want to click focus password also)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x