This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Spell checking in Konqueror

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
2ndhandband
Registered Member

Spell checking in Konqueror

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:18 pm
I can't get the spell checker to work in Konqueror. I've got aspell installed, along with appropriate dictionary for my locale. Spell checking is enabled in Konqueror settings. It simply isn't working. What can I try? I'm on 4.14.3 in KaOS.
google01103
Manager

Re: Spell checking in Konqueror

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:58 pm
are you referring to spell checking on a web site like this or in the "embedded advanced text editor" view mode?

how did you enable it? I don't use Konqueror and couldn't see a setting

are you referring to automatic checking or right click -> check spelling ? because right clicking does work fine but not automatic (at least for me). Is automatic enabled in systemsettings -> locale -> spell checking ?

does spell checking work in other KDE apps like Kate?

if you switch view modes (either to or from webkit and khtml) and reload the page does it help

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

2ndhandband
Registered Member

Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:25 pm
In the Settings menu select Configure Spell Checking. There is the option to enable automatic there, but it doesn't work. Yes, I have auto spellcheck globally and it works in other apps. Right-click to spellcheck works in selected settings; it works on this forum for instance. Doesn't work with Wordpress; the spellcheck options exist but are greyed out. Auto spell checking doesn't work at all. Switching rendering engines changes nothing (and isn't an acceptable solution anyway because KHTML butchers a Wordpress dashboard).
google01103
Manager

Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:15 pm
arghhhh - looked at it and didn't see it, too early and not yet enough coffee

I can confirm automatic spell checking doesn't work for me either

I searched bugs.kde.org and didn't find anything using terms konqueror and spell, all I found was bugs for the inability turn off spell check in Konqueror and this was for KDE 3.x and 4.4

Looked at my konquerorrc file and all is enabled except that "DefaultClient=" is blank and I don't know what that refers to, maybe the spell checker to be used if multiple are installed

I would say this is a bug and you should, if so desired, file one on bugs.kde.org

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

trescryptique
Registered Member
konqueror recognize my HUNSPELL dictionaries (no aspell dictionary installed) but doesn't check...
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
trescryptique wrote:konqueror recognize my HUNSPELL dictionaries (no aspell dictionary installed) but doesn't check...

Try to select "English (US)" instead of "English", or vice-versa. Or similar for other languages.

Might help. ;)
mparillo
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:58 pm
Necro-bumping:

American English (United States) works in Arch (22.11.90), but for some reason not on Kubuntu LL (21.12.3) (Note that Kate spell-checking works on Kubuntu LL, with the same dictionaries presented in the UI).