This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Konqueror will not launch from panel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
andersj
Registered Member
recieving the following message when trying to launch:

Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder org.kde.konqueror.desktop does not exist.

solution required please
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
Doing a quick check, I find such a file in the /usr/share/kservices5 directory, and I find that it is provided by the "konqueror" package. You might start by double-checking that you have konqueror installed and that the file exists in that directory.

Are you able to launch konqueror by other means, such as from the command-line, using krunner (alt+F2) or from the menu?

(Some more details about your system will be appreciated such as which version of which distro and which kde versions. Such information can be found in the Info Center app)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
christianlehmann
Registered Member
Same problem here.
Kubuntu 18.04, KDE Plasma Version 5.12.7, Konqueror 5.0.97.
Can call Konqueror from "Run Command" (don't remember what this program is called), but trying to launch it from the icon panel throws the error message reported above. The missed file is indeed in the directory indicated. Apparently the trigger associated with the icon looks for it in another place?

After closing Konqueror, I cannot even call it from the icon panel: no effect. At the same time, KSysGuard reports that Konqueror is running. It just does not appear on the screen.

Moreover, when I shut down Kubuntu and restart it, there is a message (cannot quote it at the moment) saying that unfortunately Konqueror broke down, asking me to report the bug and to remember what I did before it broke down. Since I cannot answer this question, the bug is then not reported.

I assume the two problems hang together.
kgomez
Registered Member
Same problem here..Tried searching on google,tried searching on different forums.But ended up in disappointment.Hopefully will get a solution here myccpay
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
As I recall Konqueror has settings to preload and launch in the background. It sounds like there could be a bug somewhere in there. I'd recommend reporting the issue in bugs.kde.org.

When you closed out of Konqueror in Ksysguard, it popped up with the Report Bug dialog because it detected that it was closed abnormally - by having been closed from Ksysguard. So in that case you were ok to ignore that dialog because the "crash" wasn't triggered by a bug (in konqueror).

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
scotabroad
Registered Member
I have Kubuntu 20.04 LTS and had the same problem. I noticed /usr/share/applications had a file named konqbrowser.desktop, but no org.kde.konqueror.desktop, while /usr/share/kservices5 did have org.kde.konqueror.desktop. When I renamed the konqbrowser.desktop file to org.kde.konqueror.desktop under /usr/share/applications, I could finally open Konqueror from the panel. However, there are still problems closing Konqueror (such as it's still listed as running under KSysGuard despite me closing out of the browser, and the process must be terminated before running Konqueror again).
qbito
Registered Member
I'm experiencing exactly the same behaviour on Debian 11, Plasma v. 5.20.5
Please fix this , since a KDE app should work out of the box. :-\