This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"eno1" and "wired connection" in KDE plasma 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
i use KDE on ubuntu 19.10 and in order to view geo-restricted reportages/videos news, i have a VPN provider.
From version 18.x of ubuntu i discovered that i do not ONLY have a "wired connection" (see picture) but also a "eno1".
Both have the same IP address, however VPN do not work on eno1 but only with "Wired connection". I do not know why but this is a fact.
Therefore i would like to set my "Wired connection" As default and remove "eno1" from available network interfaces.
I tried to add to kernel boot in grub "net.ifnames= biosdevnames=0" thing but without success as it remove the "Wired connection" AND "eno1" from available network interface (and fall back to eth0)

So what should i do to not be forced each time i want to see reportage geo-restricted to manually connect to "wired connection" ?

thx

Kubuntu 22.04 / kernel 5.15.x
KDE 5.24.5 / KDE framework: 5.95 / Qt version: 5.15.3
Mamarok
Manager
OS
In the System Settings -> Network -> Connections, you can select "eno1" and click on the "-" sign below to remove the connection.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
I already tried it and next reboot, it (eno1) comes back

Mamarok
Manager
OS
no idea why this comes back, you can still make "wired connection" the default, so you don't have to switch.
Do you use a proxy connection, or any other special connection type?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
In GUI there is no way to set "Wired connection" as default (instead of eno1)

Mamarok
Manager
OS
What you can do is make a wired connection you rename to your liking, and set it to have the exact same settings as the working wired connection. Then you should be able to set it as default.

claydoh
Registered Member
OS
I will guess that your VPN's software has created the new connection? "Wired Connection 1" is the stock name for the connection autodetected by networkmanager, which is why it keeps coming back, and I think that the "eno1" (which is the name of the networking device) simply has all the VPN settings.

You can give one connection a higher priority number in the Network Connection settings, in the General Configuration tab.

You might also copy all the different settings for the eno1 and set the Wired Connection settings match, or see your provider's documentation on what settings it needs. Then you could even delete eno1 if desired.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:What you can do is make a wired connection you rename to your liking, and set it to have the exact same settings as the working wired connection. Then you should be able to set it as default.

I did and i set the priority in Network manager... but nothing changed after reboot...if i want to use VPN i must use wired connection and run it manually.

Wired Connection

Eno1

alainroger
Registered Member
OS
claydoh wrote:I will guess that your VPN's software has created the new connection? "Wired Connection 1" is the stock name for the connection autodetected by networkmanager, which is why it keeps coming back, and I think that the "eno1" (which is the name of the networking device) simply has all the VPN settings.

You can give one connection a higher priority number in the Network Connection settings, in the General Configuration tab.

You might also copy all the different settings for the eno1 and set the Wired Connection settings match, or see your provider's documentation on what settings it needs. Then you could even delete eno1 if desired.

Wired Connection was created under Kubuntu 18.04 when i installed it as fresh installation. I setup as you can see previously the higher priority "1" to Wired connection while Eno1 has only "0" as priority. En1 and wired connection as the same IP address, gateway and DNS ips.

But nothing changed after reboot

claydoh
Registered Member
OS
alainroger wrote:
claydoh wrote:I will guess that your VPN's software has created the new connection? "Wired Connection 1" is the stock name for the connection autodetected by networkmanager, which is why it keeps coming back, and I think that the "eno1" (which is the name of the networking device) simply has all the VPN settings.

Wired Connection was created under Kubuntu 18.04 when i installed it as fresh installation. I setup as you can see previously the higher priority "1" to Wired connection while Eno1 has only "0" as priority. En1 and wired connection as the same IP address, gateway and DNS ips.

But nothing changed after reboot

There a lot more settings that need to be compared than just the priority, IP, and DNS.

Have you tried un-checking the 'Automatically Connect' option for the connection, the settings for the VPN connection, at the very least. Can you tell us which provider you are using, and what setup steps you did to set it up, if any?

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
requestprivacy
Registered Member
I have the same problem although I don't have a VPN configured - at least not that I know of. The issue happens if I unplug my ethernet cable. It looses my "Wired connection 1" and a new "eno1" connection appears and is automatically connected to. Once I plug the cable back in, the "Wired connection 1" comes back, but my machine doesn't automatically switch to it. Connection to the internet just comes back after I manually tell my computer to connect to "Wired connection 1". Also: if I delete the "eno1" before unplugging my device simply creates a new one.

I disabled IPv6 in /etc/default/grub via
Code: Select all
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="ipv6.disable=1 quiet splash"
and
Code: Select all
sudo update-grub
and restarted. Now if I unplug no "eno1" appears and once I plug the ethernet cable back in, it automatically connects to the former "Wired connection 1".

I have no clue why the network manager thinks he needs to stay on "eno1" when IPv6 is enabled.

System:
Newly bought Tuxedo Pulse 15 Gen1
Brand new Kubuntu 22.04 install (Plasma 5.24.4, Frameworks 5.92.0, Kernel 5.15.0-10025-tuxedo)

Is this something for a bug report? Can somebody point me to an appropriate place to report this issue?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
requestprivacy wrote:...
Is this something for a bug report? Can somebody point me to an appropriate place to report this issue?

https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?prod ... nt=general is what you should try, and yes, this should be reported.