This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Network Manager GUI + OpenVPN Issue

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kde-rebelcoder
Registered Member
OS

Network Manager GUI + OpenVPN Issue

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:17 pm
Hello.

I think there might be a bug with Network Manager and I wanted to let you guys know so we can figure it out.

Issue:
Some OpenVPN certificates don't work if they were imported via Plasma NM GUI. It just does not connect. Same OpenVPN cert works just fine if connected via the terminal
Code: Select all
sudo openvpn MyVPN.ovpn
This seems to be a Network Manager issue as it is present in all Distros. If you do a (DuckDuckGo!) search for "KDE Network Manager OpenVPN not connecting" you will find a lot of threads without a solution, only odd advices to run a lot of commands in the terminal.

The one that worked for me, was this:
Code: Select all
sudo nmcli connection import type openvpn file MyVPN.ovpn

It adds a cert to Plasma NM GUI list, and it connects just fine when I click 'Connect'

Also, some OpenVPM certs work just fine if imported via the NM GUI and some do not. All the same certs work just fine via the terminal connection. So this is why it looks like a problem with Plasma NM and the way it imports some OpenVPN certs.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

I need to distribute my cert to many Linux users who are, mostly KDE users. Running odd terminal commands is an extra layer of complexity. So I am trying to figure out why regular import fails with some certs. In this case with mine. Same cert connects just fine on the Android via OpenVPN app.

Let me know if we can investigate this or if someone knows what the problem is.
kde-rebelcoder
Registered Member
OS
Update/Finding:

There is a problem with Plasma NM GUI importer as it imports some certificates incorrectly. Below are two ways I used to import the same cert.

1. Via Plasma NM Import (does not work) :

2. Via sudo nmcli connection import type openvpn file MyVPN.ovpn (worked):

We can see there are differences. So Plasma NM import does not work and Terminal import works.
GabrielB
Registered Member
Hi - Just wanted to say thank you for this. Your post and using the sudo command line import saved me even more frustration.

Thanks for taking the time to detail and provide a workaround for others like me.

--Gabe
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Please report this as a bug to https://bugs.kde.org, the forum is not the correct place for bug reports.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...