This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Where does kde connect get hostname from?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
flautodolce
Registered Member
I installed Plasma on a laptop, spent a bit of time configuring it, and subsequently copied the home directory to my desktop. I decided to try KDE Connect, but when I run Connect on my desktop machine, it shows the hostname of the laptop. Similarly, my mobile phone shows the hostname of the laptop as an available device. Maybe that would work but I don't want to use it in case I ever want to be able to connect to the laptop as well or instead. $HOSTNAME holds the correct value for this computer. I've grepped around a bit looking for the name of the laptop but haven't found it. Can someone tell me where it is stored? Thank you!

Incidentally, not relevant to the question: I tried KDE way back in the 90s when it was fairly new and didn't like it much for various reasons. I haven't used it since. I installed it on the laptop by accident, as I wanted to try out Ubuntu Studio which has just changed it's default desktop to Plasma. I did not stick with US but I thought Plasma was fantastic! Just shows, one should constantly re-evaluate one's prejudices.