This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE-Connect is slow to connect...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cjarin
Registered Member

KDE-Connect is slow to connect...

Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:57 pm
Hi,

I use KDE on Debian 11 and KDE-Connect on my smartphone. It works pretty well but there are two problems :

* It can be slow to establish the connection between the two devices. I have to wait sometime a while to do something.
* My desktop is not showing notifications of entering text message. I can see the message through the KDE Connect SMS Windows, but no notification is showed...

Can you help ? Thanks !
grooveman
Registered Member

Re: KDE-Connect is slow to connect...

Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:32 pm
Have you tried connecting the phone to the charging cable, and "waking" it up?

I find kde connect to be sluggish as well (I have a samsung s9+). But plugging my phone in helps quite a bit, and waking up the phone for the first sync of the day helps (then I just leave it plugged in). So, when it is cranky, I:

1) Plug in the phone to the charger (usually just to my computer's usb port, but it could just be a standard charger)
2) Wake up the phone by entering my code or using my finger print
3) Press "refresh" on the kde-connect SMS app. Wait about 15-30 seconds, and all my chats roll in.

I'm usually good after that, provided I leave it plugged in. If it is not plugged in, its performance is spotty.

The truth of the matter is, as much as I love having kde-connect, I have to admit it is not as snappy as I'd like. Sometimes I write texts that never go through... sometimes I hear my phone jingle, and nothing comes on the screen for another 60 seconds... but it is free, and it is better than nothing :) I assume it will get better over time. They are dealing with proprietary technologies, so there is a lot of guess work and "black-boxing" in its development I'm sure.
cjarin
Registered Member
grooveman wrote:Have you tried connecting the phone to the charging cable, and "waking" it up?

Hi ! :)

Yes, it's better this way but it's not really convenient ; I really have a wireless use of the devices.^^

I guess it could be a setting in the smartphone, something like "app in background" or so. This morning, I'm not on my home network, but I can't manage to connect the two devices. However, there are on the same network. I don't really get it.

I am the the same feeling, it's not perfect but it's getting better and better (I come from the 1.3.3-2 to the 20.12.3-2) and there are plenty of improvements !).

Thanks for sharing your experience ; I guess I can't do much about some of these issues. I will try some ideas anyway and update my topic if I find something interesting !