This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Connect Privacy Issue

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sashapony
Registered Member

KDE Connect Privacy Issue

Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:00 am
Hello

I'm having a problem with the KDE Connect android app. I have been using it for a long time and it has always allowed me to expose the root folder to my computer so that i can access anything from the internal phone storage or from the SD Card on any of the phones i have had it installed on. I noticed that now I cannot do that. The apps wont allow me to use the root anymore and provide this message to me. "Can't use this folder. To protect your privacy, choose another folder" but I don't want to use a different folder... i want to use the main folder so that i can access everything. i don't want to have to put everything into a special folder just for KDE Connect to use and then manually using the phone file browser have to then organize where i want the files to go. Is there a solution to fixing this? This has been rather inconvenient and want the app to work how it used to.
sebastriani
Registered Member
OS

Re: KDE Connect Privacy Issue

Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:31 pm
I just changed my phone and I have the same problem!
It's obviously not a bug but an IDIOT decision from someone, it seems as if it was done by a Windows or Apple developer!
We don't need someone else to protect our privacy, this is supposed to be a FOSS right? WTF

EDIT: Free as in "Libre", does the developer that took this decision rembember that concept????
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:09 pm
It is a restriction from Android itself, in its more recent versions. Nothing can be done other than replacing/modifying the phone's OS.
I think it was done more for security than for privacy.

KDE Connect has nothing to do with this.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
sebastriani
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:38 pm
claydoh wrote:It is a restriction from Android itself, in its more recent versions. Nothing can be done other than replacing/modifying the phone's OS.
I think it was done more for security than for privacy.

KDE Connect has nothing to do with this.

Then my apologies to KDE Connect devs for the rant, I'm sorry, I'm redirecting my anger to Google, it´s no surprise from them (Google) to do this type of things, they just know how to ruin everything...