This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Backup to LAN share still missing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ianp5a
Registered Member

Backup to LAN share still missing

Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:24 am
I have a NAS where I need to backup or preferably sync files to with Plasma (Kubuntu 22.04) , alongside Windows and Android devices in my home.
This does not seem to be possible for non IT experienced users. I have tried to find a solution for many years, several NAS devices, PCs and Kubuntu/Neon versions.
- Dolphin can access the LAN shares OK. ✓
- Windows and Android devices and apps sync to the NAS Shares easily. ✓
- On Plasma most Sync programs have file pickers that cannot navigate to the Network. Just local files.
- KDE programs Digikam, Elisa and Kup can all navigate to the LAN but then fail to access the shares.
- I have not found any way to mount shares in an easy way for non IT experienced users on Plasma.
- Smb4K looked like a solution, but needed to be running the whole time and stopped working.

Backup is important, yet surprisingly still not possible. Is this being fixed? Or should I report a feature request? Or is there a hidden trick that doesn't involve hacking, deep IT knowledge or the command line?
ianp5a
Registered Member
OK. There appears to be no solution. Therefore it needs a fix request. Backing up to a LAN share is a critical function belonging to the basics. I'll post details as soon as I have anything.