This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE apps don't recognize network in Parallels VM

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
txlogic
Registered Member
UPDATE: I switched the Parallels networking option to "Bridged Networking: Default Adapter" and now the KDE Network Interfaces app can see the interface "enp0s5" (the Air's interface name is "en0"). But none of the other KDE graphical apps see it.

Howdy KDE folk,

I installed Ubuntu 22.04 in a Parallels VM on my M1 Mac Air and then installed Kubuntu/KDE on top of that (KDE Plasma version 5.24.4). For some reason, the graphical KDE apps (Dolphin, Discover, Advanced Network Connections, the System Monitor, Calendar, etc) don't recognize the network interface. Non-KDE apps (e.g., Firefox) as well as the terminal have no problem; I can ping and ssh into remote machines without issue. The terminal command ifconfig sees the network interface en0 (I've obscured the last six digits of my ip address):

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
options=6463<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TSO4,TSO6,CHANNEL_IO,PARTIAL_CSUM,ZEROINVERT_CSUM>
ether 50:ed:3c:42:c2:70
inet6 fe80::1451:ebac:784d:eb9b%en0 prefixlen 64 secured scopeid 0xb
inet 10.228.XXX.YYY netmask 0xfffe0000 broadcast 10.229.255.255
nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
media: autoselect

Note that other desktop environments — Ubuntu desktop and Mate — over the same Ubuntu 22.04 installation are not having this problem. It appears to be a Kubuntu/KDE thing.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?