This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot access NAS shares on Neon laptop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wetgeek
Registered Member
OS
I've migrated my daily-driver laptop from Solus OS to Neon, and I'm having permission problems while trying to access my NAS shares from Dolphin. I had no such issues with Solus.

Background: My network includes 8 Linux computers and a DiskStation415 NAS from Synology. When I install a new distribution on hardware or on a VM, I modify /etc/fstab to add my NAS shares. Issuing a mount -a command then causes the links to be listed in Dolphin. The last step is to create symlinks that connect the mount points in /mnt to my home folder.

Problem: In Solus OS, performing the above preparations has allowed Dolphin to access those shares as if they were local folders. But in Neon, attempting to access them in Dolphin just returns a permissions error.

Details: I'm sure they've been mounted correctly, because if I cd to /mnt in a terminal, I can access the shares from there with no problem. For example, the shares include: Backups Books Documents Downloads ISOs Keys Music Pictures SourceArchives SourceControl Torrents Videos. All of those shares, and their contents, are fully accessible. Also, Dolphin has no problem accessing the shares and their contents if I select Network, and then navigate to my NAS, and access it using Dolphin's default smb protocol.

Although my NAS supports both nfs and smb, and allows anonymous access, all the computers on my network are Linux machines, so I much prefer using nfs. And I should not need to provide credentials in order to access it using nfs.

My sincere thanks to anyone who can help me access my NAS the same way that Solus has always allowed -- i.e., no credentials needed.