This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Nfs /home client hopeless since linux kernel 6.2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
risto3
Registered Member
Thought I would try asking here, after initially posting to https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/nfs-home-client-hopeless-since-linux-kernel-6-2/38098

I'm noticing excruciatingly slow access via dolphin ( 5.27.2) or even pcmanfm-qt on linux mainline 6.2 (here arch based EndeavourOS) client
to a pure arch server on lts (currently 6.1.18-1-lts) with nfs4 /home as well diverse nfs4 mounts. Under 6.1 lts things are 'normal' but all accesses
via the filemanager, even login, is horribly slow. Via a terminal, file access is still normal with respect to lts.

Hoping someone else has noticed and has found what is needed to cure the pain.

cheers
risto3
Registered Member
filed https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=467561

Curious, as it is easily reproducible with the problem exhibited on all our NFS client systems, does nobody running Linux 6.2 experience anything similar?
Or does everybody run LTS? (which is not so bad an idea, that is until LTS is bumped to 6.2 or higher)
superpixel
Registered Member
When the switch from KDE 3.x to Plasma (4) was made a long time ago, I turned my back on the desktop. The last years I used Linux Mint with Cinnamon. However, since I like the Plasam desktop, I gave it another try.

The client is a HP Workstation Z440 with 64GB RAM and a nVIDIA Quadro P6000. So not the slowest machine under the sun. The server is a Supermicro with Dual Xenon Silver, 40 cores and 256GB RAM. It provides the user home via NFSv4.

Since both Mint and KDE Neon are based on Ubuntu, the systems are very comparable. I did the /home mount the same way on both. The measured read/write rate is/was about the same on both systems ~120MB/s.

Plasma is the horror with the home via NFSv4. With Cinnamon / Linuxmint on the same machine you do not notice that you are working with an NFS home.

I have this behavior, whether I use the LTS kernel of the distribution or 6.1.

I know this doesn't help you and I've spent hours searching. It would be nice if plasma could solve this. Or anyone has a tip on how to use Plasama productively in such an environment. As it is unfortunately not :-(

with best
superpixel