This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Hide WLAN-Password from normal users in KDE Environment

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
furby
Registered Member
Hello Everyone,

after 20 years of using Linux-PCs with KDE in private, i can finally use KDE in our business environment. I've installed Debian 11 with KDE and created an admin- and an user-account.

The admin-Account connects the client to the wifi and saves the password encrypted only for himself. For the user account to be able to use the wifi, i select the radio-button on the common tab saying, that all users can use this network. After a restarting an loging in with the admin-account, the connection through the wifi to the internet works flawless.

When the normal user logs in, he gets a warning message, that he wants to change the network configuration and has to give the admin-password to do so. Aborting this dialog, the wifi-password hat to be entered. The user won't have any of the requested passwords , so he can't use the wifi.

The second dangerous thing is, that normal user can open the network-configuration-dialog and delete the saved wifi, so that the admin-account can't use the wifi next time he logs in.

How can i prevent the normal user from deleting the wifi and using the wireless network without giving him the password? Is this a problem of KDE or the underlying linux?

Thank you for your help

furby