This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Missing functionality in Konqueror in KDE 4?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jeffery
Registered Member
OS
Hello! :-D

This is my first time posting and I don't know if this has been resolved elsewhere but my problem is, I also do not want to use Dolphin. I'm very happy with how Konqueror was; I frequently use the svn and fsview plugins for Konqueror. I also mount and unmount my flashdrive a lot but the abitility to do that now seems to be gone. I can't simply replace that functionality with keyboard shortcuts because keyboard shortcuts don't work! Even the print screen button doesn't do anything.

In summary:
  • How can I get back the ability to mount and unmount partitions/disks in Konqueror? I think it's system:/media that it doesn't recognize any more.
  • Is issue with keyboard shortcuts a problem for anybody else? What's the status on that?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
@Jeffery: Global Keyboard shortcuts were broken in 4.1 and 4.0, but have been fixed in 4.2 thanks to a refactor of KHotkeys ( which lost some advanced functionality in the process )

The system:/ KIO slave was discontinued during development of KDE 4.0, due to it requiring integration with the Solid pillar. this integration required a completed rewrite effectively ( you can use websvn.kde.org to find the commit that removed it )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
GeneralZod
KDE Developer
OS
I should note that I'm planning to write a blog (or two) about Konqueror file management in KDE4 specifically dealing with feature regressions from KDE3, so examples of regressions that people find annoying are very welcome - please post them here, unless mods would prefer that I create a new thread ... ?

ssj-gz.blogspot.com: KDE4Daily, Konqueror4 Restoration
Jeffery
Registered Member
OS
Oh no! That sure was a nice feature. I hope it isn't gone forever :( That was an important part of Konqueror, I thought.

I might even be able to live with using a hotkey to mount my flashdrive or make a launcher icon or something. I'm going to that link you provided to look it up because I am interested what happened.

Thank you for your quick reply!
Jucato
Registered Member
OS
Does the flash drive show up in the New Device Notifier applet? If yes, you can mount/unmount from that applet (which is in the panel by default).

Jucato, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Jeffery
Registered Member
OS
Jucato wrote:Does the flash drive show up in the New Device Notifier applet? If yes, you can mount/unmount from that applet (which is in the panel by default).

Yes it does. However I have to go to the desktop to use it. I can't remember, does that applet show other partitions (Like other disks on the system that may not be mounted)? I'm also trying to remember if I use that applet to mount a drive if it opens Dolphin; Am I able to access that mount in Konqueror? I imagine so.

It was one of those reasons that it wasn't practical for me. I'll have to try it again to recall exactly.