This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kopete needs more work

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DJViking
Registered Member
OS

Kopete needs more work

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:09 pm
Kopete need some seriously work done.

* More extensible configuration on both MSN account and application
* File sharing (MSN)
* File transfer (MSN)
* Video and sound conversation
* Better integration with Live Mail (a pupup when a mail arrives is not enough). To show in the main window how many emails there is in the inbox and to open the inbox(internal or with an configured email program).
* The ability to show the contact name and status message. I sometimes only see the status message when there is one and not the contact name. I can rename the contact and give it a name, but then I cannot see what that contacts status message is.
* The message window can be changed with several themes, but it would be nice if also the main window could get some themes too.
* Kopete still bare trates of being a KDE 3 application, while other KDE applications have undergone significant face reconstruction for KDE4.

I like KDE and would consider to use Kopete, but I am considering to use either aMSN or Pidgin to get more features and a better look and feel.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

RE: Kopete needs more work

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:12 pm
Kopete's MSN plugin was completely rewritten based on libmsn ( a helper library ) for 4.2 so most of this functionality has likely been resolved. I would recommend trying out a KDE 4.2 version of Kopete

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
DJViking
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:59 pm
bcooksley wrote:Kopete's MSN plugin was completely rewritten based on libmsn ( a helper library ) for 4.2 so most of this functionality has likely been resolved. I would recommend trying out a KDE 4.2 version of Kopete

Is this libmsn compatible with the latest MSN? Microsoft released MSN 9 which now supports multiple connection to the same account from different locations. This feature appealed to me as I also have MSN om my mobile phone.

I recon that the MSN protocol is still closed and thus this "helper" library is reverse engineering of the protocol?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:01 pm
You would need to check with the libmsn project with regards to this. It is more than likely that the protocol did not change, just changes in the Server Backend though.

I believe that libmsn is reverse engineering it, but you would have to ask them to be sure.

KDE Sysadmin
widux
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:30 am
Does anybody know if Kopete will get IRC-Support again?

Scholars.de
sidux "aether" KDE 4.2.4
Kernel: 2.6.30-1-686
Box: Lenovo 3000 N100
Graphics: nVidia G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] - NVIDIA 185.18.14
WLAN: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

widux, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:38 am
Kopete was refactored by its Developer at some point. This broke compatability for plugins, most of which were ported. However IRC has not been ported yet.

KDE Sysadmin
widux
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:23 am
Thanx!

Scholars.de
sidux "aether" KDE 4.2.4
Kernel: 2.6.30-1-686
Box: Lenovo 3000 N100
Graphics: nVidia G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] - NVIDIA 185.18.14
WLAN: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

widux, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
akoskm
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 am
Also need support for Custom Emotions like in KMess.

pinotree
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:51 pm
Also needs... developers!
No really, Kopete is basically in short of "manpower", so without help is quite difficult for it to get all the features people would like to have.

Pino Toscano