This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

4.2 and wireless network connection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bmaguire
Registered Member
OS

4.2 and wireless network connection

Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:29 pm
I'm in the process of switching from Gnome to KDE 4.2 on a laptop running Ubuntu Intrepid. Under Gnome my wireless network comes up fine. Under KDE it doesn't come up at all and I can't find the system setting to get KDE to search for it. If I have a wired connection plugged in everything works just fine. Since a search of the forum didn't turn up anyone else asking about this I assume I'm missing something very obvious.

Also, is there a way to monitor the existence/strength of a wireless connection the way the Gnome Network Applet does?

Thanks for any help,
Brian

bmaguire, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
SteveMcQwark
Registered Member
OS
This, among many other utilities, isn't actually part of KDE but provided by your distribution. In order to get all the utilities you need, I suggest that you install the kubuntu-desktop package. It installs all the extra packages that come with a default kubuntu installation.

The specific package you need is knetworkmanager. It provides an applet similar to the one provided in Gnome (however, it is harder to use) It is the old one from KDE3. The one for KDE4 is still in development and not ready for use.

Last edited by SteveMcQwark on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveMcQwark, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bmaguire
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, Steve.

I found and installed knetworkmanager and while the little globe shows on my panel I can't get it to do anything! I've tried left and right clicking, going to panel setting and I can't find how to configure the thing? Any idea where I can find any documentation? A quick google didn't seem to be much help.

Brian

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
KNetworkManager should respond to right clicking with a menu. Did you install the KDE 4 or KDE 3 version?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
bmaguire
Registered Member
OS
I installed the only version I found with Adept. It's 1:0.7svn864988-Oubuntu1.8.10.3.

Airlight
Registered Member
I spent two frustrating days trying to make the wireless work - it simply wouldn't save the password, and not apply it even when stored in config file 'by hand', I've installed and uninstalled versions of knetworkmanager, cnetworkmanager, etc.

For me, the solution was to give up to the shiny knetwork plasmoid, and to install gnome's network manager, then control it via nm-applet, as in Gnome. I know, not nice but it finally works, and all the networks are detected and then configured properly.

Other than that, KDE 4.2 flies in many colors on my Latitude D810, 1Gb RAM, on openSuSE 11.1.

Last edited by Airlight on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Was it launched ( normal application ) or added to the panel through Add Widgets?

KDE Sysadmin
bmaguire
Registered Member
OS
It was launched. Since it doesn't show on my "add widgets" list, I have no idea how to install it as a widget.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
That means it is an application, and thus the KDE 3 version. If you run KNetworkManager in a Konsole, what does it output when you try and right click on its icon?

KDE Sysadmin
bmaguire
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:That means it is an application, and thus the KDE 3 version. If you run KNetworkManager in a Konsole, what does it output when you try and right click on its icon?

Nothing. At least nothing I can see.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I have never heard of this kind of issue before. Try installing all knetworkmanager3 related packages, and force updating the existing one to ensure your installation is not damaged.

KDE Sysadmin