This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Internet search box in Konqueror 4.2.1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
judland
Registered Member
OS
Is there a way to add a Google (or other search engine) search box in Konqueror's (v 4.2.1) toolbar, similar to what I had in KDE 3.5? Or is this a feature that still needs to be implemented?

You, me and KDE.
JontheEchinda
KDE Developer
OS
There is a Google (and other engines) searchbar extension available for Konqueror. I don't know about other distros, but in Kubuntu Intrepid installing the konqueror-plugin-searchbar should get you a nice searchbar. ;-)

JontheEchinda, proud to be a member of the Kubuntu team since July 2008.
YeahReally
Registered Member
OS
For Debian the package is: konq-plugins

Though I prefer to search using the location bar (web shorcuts)

Debian GNU/Linux Lenny
KDE 4.1.96

How many bugs have you triaged today?
judland
Registered Member
OS
JontheEchinda wrote:There is a Google (and other engines) searchbar extension available for Konqueror. I don't know about other distros, but in Kubuntu Intrepid installing the konqueror-plugin-searchbar should get you a nice searchbar. ;-)

Ah, yes. Thanks. It's been a while since I did a complete install (ie. not upgrade) of the system, that I must have forgotten about that.

Under Mandriva, the package is called konq-plugins and once installed, I had my search bar back, as well as the usual menu entries under Konqueror's Tools menu.

You, me and KDE.
cruzki
Registered Member
OS
Any one kowns what package do the trick in gentoo? There are konq-plugin for 3.5 but not for 4.1 :(

cruzki, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
jrick
Registered Member
OS
Just in case anyone wants to know... you can search Google directly from the location bar without installing the search box plugin. Just type

gg: searchterm

and it will search it for you. The cool thing about this is that gg: is a KIO slave (I think), and so, it is available from all of KDE. For example, you can type it in the +F2 box, which will then open it in a new browser window.

EDIT: A complete list of search engines can be found with Settings > Configure Konqueror... > Web Shortcuts

Last edited by jrick on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
cruzki
Registered Member
OS
I know ;) I am using right now, but whe I use konqueror, ussualy only use the mouse so, it's a pain :P

cruzki, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Jucato
Registered Member
OS
cruzki wrote:I know ;) I am using right now, but whe I use konqueror, ussualy only use the mouse so, it's a pain :P

... Except when you're typing in the search term, right? :P

You can set Google to be the default search engine in Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Web Shortcuts, so that you don't have to type in "gg:" before the search terms. You can just click on the address bar, type in the search terms, then click on the Go button. Much like your Google search bar. :D

Jucato, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Cader
Registered Member
OS
Jucato wrote:
cruzki wrote:I know ;) I am using right now, but whe I use konqueror, ussualy only use the mouse so, it's a pain :P

... Except when you're typing in the search term, right? :P

You can set Google to be the default search engine in Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Web Shortcuts, so that you don't have to type in "gg:" before the search terms. You can just click on the address bar, type in the search terms, then click on the Go button. Much like your Google search bar. :D

Also very handy is if you have a default search engine selected you can highlight text and middle click and it will search for you - no need to type anything.