Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:42 am
Kopete features and usability issues
When using a MSN account from Kopete, file transfer continue to be a very poorly implemented feature, regardless of the innumberable releases this IM application has seen. Just compare it with any other IM software and you will see how this very basic feature is well done almost everywhere, aMSN, Pidign, Skype, ... you name it.
Some problematic points are:
- User don't get feedback on what´s happening when you try to send a file to someone else (Until the file transfer dialog appears of course, but this can take a lot). Conversation dialgo shoud say "Offering to send file XXX (size) to ..." so that you know that file transfer stuff is already taking place.
- About sending files too. To say something, you write text in the text area of the conversation window, likewise, I'd expect to drag a file from Dolphin or the desktop and drop it just there in the text entry field, so that the file get sent to the person I'm talking to.
- Transfer speed is a mayor problem. Try sending a file from Kopete and try to send same file from Pidgin, and see what happen. Koppete is very slow.
- Changing your avatar should be as easy as posible. Drag & drop a image file from Dolphin to the place where Kopete shows your current avatar. Right clicking on the current avatar should also offer this option.
Hope this can be fixed.
Thanks a lot for your work.
Last edited by gotham64 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:04 am
It would be best if you file these as bugs / feature requests on bugs.kde.org. Otherwise developers can't easily check to see what needs to be fixed, etc.
Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:54 am
- Will appear when the other person accepts the file, but could be nice a snapshot of the photo that you are sending or smth, like in messenger live client, is just that Kopete team needs to keep compatibility with many protocol, so it may be difficult
- That you want to do with transfer just dropping the file on text area doesnt work, it works in conversation area
- Changing the avatar if you have Default Identify setting enabled in the MSN Account where you want to change the avatar is easy, just add the Global Identify Bar =)
- Kopete MSN transfer protocol implementation is old and isn't compatible at all with newest msn clients, so it tends to fail
Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:30 pm
This is greatly improved in SVN trunk and will be available in KDE 4.2. It's even embedded in the chat window now.
Registered users: bartoloni, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]