This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Video camera stopped working [SOLVED]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS
I think that the installation of additional KDE software broke Cheese, the manager for my video camera, this is what console reports:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
ckosloff@littledeb:~$ cheese

(cheese:3243): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3243): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3243): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkHBox to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3243): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3243): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkHBox to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:3243): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

** (cheese:3243): WARNING **: cheese-window.vala:1259: Error: No device found

ckosloff@littledeb:~$
---------------------------------------------------------------

And these are the specs for the system:

root@littledeb:/home/ckosloff# inxi -Fxz
System: Host: littledeb Kernel: 3.2.0-1-686-pae i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.2)
Desktop: KDE 4.6.5 (Qt 4.7.4) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid
Machine: System: Acer product: AOA150 version: 1
Mobo: Acer model: N/A Bios: Acer version: v0.3310 date: 10/06/2008
CPU: Single core Intel Atom CPU N270 (-HT-) cache: 512 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 3192.1
Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.org: 1.11.3.901 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 80x35 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath5k bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (-) 1: /dev/sda Hitachi_HTS54321 160.0GB 41C
Partition: ID: / size: 148G used: 7.5G (6%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.50GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 65.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 170 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 377.5/996.7MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.30
root@littledeb:/home/ckosloff#

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ckosloff on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Video camera stopped working

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:50 pm
This in theory should not be possible - are you sure nothing video related was upgraded during the installation process? From the output I see that it failed to find a video camera device.

Have you tried reconnecting the camera?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:11 pm
I talked a bit too soon, the camera is working now.
It is embedded in notebook, so reconnecting is not a possibility.
I installed another cheese package: gir1.2-cheese-3.0, did a dist-upgrade and rebooted system and there it is.
However, I tested after that and things are not completely straightened out.
If I take a video, and want to see results, I get this kind of error: Could not open /home/ckosloff/.gnome2/cheese/media/2012-03-07-141331.ogv
Maybe I need to install an extra package to view .ogv files?
Thanks much.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 am
That error indicates possible permission issues or other faults. I would recommend checking your GStreamer packages to ensure that the version numbers match as needed or are all up to date.

KDE Sysadmin
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:34 pm
Thanks for suggestion.
Indeed I checked for gstreamer packages, installed, did aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade.
Got error: device not found, reported above.
Have two phonon backends now: VLC and Gstreamer.
None of them were working last night.
Purged kamera, kde-full, and kde-graphics.
This morning camera was back in a working state.
Still the .ovg file was not opening.
Went to store location and opened with Dragon Player, it worked.
Then I finished installing VLC, and from File Associations, selected it to open .ogv.
Then from cheese I attempted opening and it worked.
So far, camera is working again and videos are opening in VLC.
Apparently cheese is a Gnome program, hence the conflicts.
So, my question is: is it safe to re-install kamera, kde-full, and kde-graphics?
Thanks in advance.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would be surprised if it was not safe to install them - as they should not interact with a Webcam/Camera device unless they say they are.

KDE Sysadmin
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 pm
I am thinking of the error reported above:
Code: Select all

and wondering if it has anything to do with loading a KDE and a Gnome manager for the camera.
Anyway, will test, backup present working system, install packages, test, report here.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:17 pm
That warning message is a code based one, indicating a problem in how Cheese layouts it's Gtk based widgets.

KDE Sysadmin
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:01 pm
I am following your writings, thank you very much.
I need to do some testing, maybe use kamera instead of Cheese.
In a time bind now, will keep you posted.
I am not just playing around with this, skype and video-conference are critical for my firm.
I am building an enterprise with all its internal systems based on Debian Linux and KDE.
I don't want anyone to even hint that M$ is better.
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:33 am
Continuing to test on netbook.
The problem I have now is that sound continues to flow out of speakers with headset plugged in.
It was not doing that before.
Please help.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:13 am
When this occurs you usually need to enable some form of ALSA quirks for your hardware, or use a newer distribution (which ships a newer Kernel and ALSA - which usually switch these quirks on themselves when they detect they are needed).

Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this - other than googling the output of lspci for your sound card.

KDE Sysadmin
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:52 pm
The distro could not be newer, unless I go directly into Sid (unstable), wheezy is a rolling distro.
I will try your google suggestion later on today.
There is something I need help with :
Settings -> Pulse Audio Preferences is inactive, cannot set any option there.
There is an inactive option to install: Make discoverable PulseAudio network sound devices available locally.
Why should this be inactive?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 pm
I'm not sure why it is not available to be enabled - but I do know that it is not a necessary option in this case.

KDE Sysadmin
ckosloff
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:02 am
I just installed kamera, kde-full, and kde-graphics.
Wheezy updated its kernel and my video camera is still working.
So I am going to close this thread.
However, I will have open another one for the sound issues.
Thanks for all answers.
jdecuirm
Registered Member
Hi!, i hope by this time you could solve the problem!, but the explanation about the problem is in fact, permissions issues, cheese is trying to store the videos and photos in the root directory, if you want to test, run cheese with root privileges, and you'll see it will work. I have tried to find like .conf file of cheese to change the paths for my default user directory, with no luck. So, in Unity desktop they use dconf-editor to solve this issue, changing the default paths, to ones with permissions, in this case, your user paths.