This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Subtitles in dragonplayer?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Subtitles in dragonplayer?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 am
According to the dragonplayer info page, dragonplayer should automatically load subtitles that have the same file name as the video. Ive never actually been able to get this to work though. Is this feature not yet implemented or am I doing something wrong?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Subtitles in dragonplayer?

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:07 pm
It could be that the subtitles are disabled? Which version of Dragonplayer do you use? I have version 2.0 here and it works just fine with the phonon-backend-vlc 0.5.0

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm
Im running Dragonplayer 2.0 as well. How do I enable/dis-enable subtitles? The subtitle menu option is always grayed out so I cant see any of the options....
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Re: Subtitles in dragonplayer?  Topic is solved

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:27 pm
Okay, got it to work with the vlc backend. Subtitles should work by default....

Thanks for the vlc backend suggestion.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm
Well, tell that the gstreamer people, there is not much we can do about that, sorry.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:05 am
After a restart, I lost audio output with the vlc backend. I run a HDMI cable to my tv and had video but no sound. Tried every output option in the Phonon settings menu but no luck. So Im back with the gstreamer backend and my hopes to have one video player instead of four have been crushed. :'(
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:20 am
Did you check in KMix to see if the volume of the output(s) was set correctly?
Also, did you use the Phonon "play" function to test the devices or something else?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:24 am
bcooksley wrote:Did you check in KMix to see if the volume of the output(s) was set correctly?
Also, did you use the Phonon "play" function to test the devices or something else?

Yeah, Kmix shows volume at max for everything. I tested all the output options using the test function in Phonon but it would only output through the headphone jack on my case. Using the gstreamer backend, one of the HDMI output options outputs sound to the tv.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:30 am
If you use VLC itself directly, does that have any impact?
Also, does your system use Pulseaudio?

KDE Sysadmin
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 pm
bcooksley wrote:If you use VLC itself directly, does that have any impact?
Also, does your system use Pulseaudio?

VLC works sometimes, but sometimes I have audio problems. I dont use Pulseaudio...
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:08 pm
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=99279

You really want PulseAudio for sane HDMI experience.

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm
apachelogger wrote:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=99279

You really want PulseAudio for sane HDMI experience.

The problem there is that some programs I run in Wine dont like pulseaudio. Thats why I ditched it in the first place. Ill play around with it and see if adding a pulseaudio kill command in the wine launchers works.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:50 am
You should be able to use pasuspender to temporarily suspend Pulseaudio.

KDE Sysadmin
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:21 am
bcooksley wrote:You should be able to use pasuspender to temporarily suspend Pulseaudio.

Reinstalled pulseaudio and now HDMI audio is working fine, but audio in Wine is completely borked. Where do I get pasuspender from? Its not in the repos and cant find anywhere to download it from....

EDIT: Nevermind...didnt realize pasuspender was already installed on my system. I need more coffee....
whatthefunk
Registered Member

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:45 am
Okay, finally got this worked out. I no longer have to uninstall pulseaudio to get wine to work! Key was adding wine repos and updating to Wine 1.4 and then using pasuspender when running wine programs. Audio works everywhere and I can use Dragon Player for everything now!