This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

OSS functionality? feedback?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
princeofnam
Registered Member

OSS functionality? feedback?

Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:04 pm
I've been trying to install the drivers for my Toneport converter. http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...ux1-or-gx.html

One of the instructions is
Only use the OSS drivers for native OSsupport and to prevent feedback while using Jack Keep the “Monitor” channel muted.

I looked into Sound Settings and don't see any of the options available that allow me to switch to "OSS drivers" or to keep the "monitor" channel muted.
lamarque
Registered Member
OS

Re: OSS functionality? feedback?

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm
OSS driver are the old drivers used by Linux about 10 years ago. Linux uses ALSA now, is your card that old? You can enable OSS emulation in alsa, usually it works.

"Channel" here means the mixer channel, you can use kmix to show all channels from your card (once the driver is installed) and mute the channel called "Monitor".

Software engineer at Petrobrás http://www.petrobras.com.br/en/about-us/
KDE's Network Management maintainer
princeofnam
Registered Member

Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:25 pm
How do I get into ALSA to enable the OSS emulation?
shmerl
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm
lamarque wrote:OSS driver are the old drivers used by Linux about 10 years ago. Linux uses ALSA now, is your card that old? You can enable OSS emulation in alsa, usually it works.

Not necessarily. OSS4 is the modern spin of the OSS subsystem, and it's an option on many distros.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:43 am
Instructions to enable OSS4 will vary between distributions. It will likely require blacklisting ALSA modules so that they do not attempt to access sound hardware and unblacklisting the OSS4 ones, if they are available.

You may be required to self-compile your own Kernel depending on the distribution.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
princeofnam
Registered Member

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:35 am
This definitely worked before and I'm pretty sure i've been using ALSA this entire time. I opened KMIX to mute the "monitor" channel but couldn't find any channeled named monitor. or channels to mute in general. is it still in kmix?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:09 am
KMix displays the channels that ALSA is aware of. The monitor channel is only available if ALSA drivers make them.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]