This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Screensaver - Occasional Blank Screen

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aaa237pw
Registered Member
OS
Hello

I have setup a desktop folderview slideshow in my KDE SC 4.7.4 Debian Wheezy up to date to access about a dozen graphics directories with about a few thousand images.

My problem is that every few days or so I get a blank screen with my icons present. It lasts as long as the time span for an image.

I have used gthumb, geeqie, and imagemagick -verify to check all the images and directories. All appear OK. My problem maybe that the GUI apps do not load any images that they are having problems with.

Any 'way out of left field' suggestions?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
What type is the image not showing? Might just be a mime-type problem.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
aaa237pw
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the reply

That's my problem. I don't know.

I have gone through all my graphics and they are (by filename) all standard types distributed over directories based on the year taken, i.e. 2007.1-6, 2007.6-12, etc.. That said, Linux does not read a file by filename but by file type. I think.

I could have a video that is named *.png or something like that. I am hoping to find an image viewer that will report an error when faced with something like this. Gthumb displays a generic graphic for some non-readable images. Image viewers when faced with a video sometimes show the first frame and no error message.

Maybe it is not my doing. Some of my dissolve images take upwards of 30 to 40 seconds to transition. I put in a bug report but I have heard nothing in months (or maybe years!)

It seems to happen when I come out of the screensaver mode or maybe I am imagining it. I have tried to log the images but that is impossible.

My next course of action is to isolate one directory at a time, put the transition time to the minimum, and wait a few days or a week to see if anything happens. If nothing happens move on to the next directory. This will take many months but it should work eventually.

Any thing else?

Thanks
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You could also use the Picture Frame widget on the desktop with the same pictures and see if some are not showing there either.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
aaa237pw
Registered Member
OS
Thank You

I'll give it a try