This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

HDMI TV Issues & sound

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jimbo99
Registered Member

HDMI TV Issues & sound

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:52 am
I have Ubuntu 11.10 installed. New, clean, no old configuration, nothing. A wiped clean OS with the basics. I performed the normal updates and then installed kde 4.8.2 from the Kubuntu backports ppa.

On my laptop I am trying to connect this up to a TV. The TV is 720p. Technically the TV's resolution is 1360X768. The chipset for the laptop is based on the ATI chipset. I am using the stock video driver provided by Canonical as part of the 11.10 install. No further upgrades were done to the video. It is being connected via HDMI.

All the desktop effects work on the laptop built in display--everything works, except the TV part of it.

In the past I had Ubuntu 12.04, but there were so many issues with stability that I chose to abandon it. During the time I used it with 12.04 installed I attempted this same thing (connect the TV up as a second display via HDMI) I was able to get the system to see the TV properly, albeit with an incorrect resolution.

What was happening then was that programs such as VLC would mess up (shows the video on the TV (and the laptop display), but it wouldn't allow me to modify the volume or control the program at all using the mouse. Under XBMC it set it to the incorrect resolution and provided no choice for correcting it. HDMI audio was all messed up.

Suffice it to say there were so many issues that it had to be abandoned.

I wiped it and installed Ubuntu 11.10. I chose all the defaults, made no adjustments, and only after knowing that it was working properly did I upgrade to KDE 4.8.2.

When I plug in the TV via the HDMI cable it does see the device and asks me whether I want to configure it. When I do configure it the resolution choices provided are either 1080p or 1024x768 with no choices between.

I went looking for an xorg.conf file but there isn't one.

Any suggestions on getting this thing to see the TV at the correct resolution and to ensure that audio works, and that I can close the lid and use the TV as the primary screen, and when I turn the TV off that it doesn't cause KDE to freak out believing it is no longer a viable device? I have sa system similar to this in the front from on a laptop with a broken display that I use as a media center running windows 7 and I can close the lid while everything keeps running properly. I'd prefer avoiding Win7 for now.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: HDMI TV Issues & sound

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:15 am
Assuming you use the screens in Clone mode, it should work ok.

With regards to the resolution - this means that the TV is likely advertising 1080p as supported over HDMI. If you are using Merged displays, then this could be the cause of the problem though.

These days X configures itself dynamically for the most part - if you want a xorg.conf file you will need to create one by hand - just adding the bits you need - and that should hopefully be sufficient.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
bobk_nyc
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:16 pm
I just built a new home theater, and instead of win 7, I tried kubuntu 12.04....looking at the last post, I am wondering if there is a chance of getting sound over hdmi, using ATI DH 5450 playing vidio file (like AVI) on a 1080p TV.
other than locking up, when I see video, I have no audio...I tried alsamixer, as was suggested on another board.
no good result...I am hoping to resolve this, if posible. I want to avoid having to go back to windows, just to use this card. (worked fine under win 7 SP1) any suggestions? I have been keeping updated with apt-get update...

thanks
bobby
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:57 pm
If you run "aplay -l" is there any reference to HDMI?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]