This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

More detailed webcam settings?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markum
Registered Member

More detailed webcam settings?

Thu May 17, 2012 6:07 am
I have a notebook (thinkpad) with an integrated webcam. Unfortunately this means that things like angle, apperture and zoom can not be configured with the webcam itself. This means when I use the webcam for skype, it does not really show a useful picture.When running Windows, Lenovo has a tool for chancing those settings. I could not find a tool which does this for KDE/ Linux. Does anyone know if such a tool exits for KDE/ Linux?

Markum

markum, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: More detailed webcam settings?

Thu May 17, 2012 7:36 am
Can you check to see what hardware the webcam uses?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
markum
Registered Member

Thu May 17, 2012 6:16 pm
bcooksley wrote:Can you check to see what hardware the webcam uses?

It is a Lenovo Integrated Webcam, made by Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.

markum, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed May 23, 2012 8:36 am
My laptop (although an Asus) has a webcam manufactured by the same company. In my case, prior to openSUSE 12.1, the camera always displayed the picture upside down...

For your case, I am not sure if it is possible to perform these tweaks. If it is, they will be as arguments to the kernel module used to support them 'uvcvideo' I believe - so you likely want to look into options supported by that module.

This may require some tweaking with system-wide configuration files however (and is something I have never done before I am afraid).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]