This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Video / audio problems with Kubuntu 12.10

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
op3studios
Registered Member
Greetings from Alaska,

I've recently installed Kubuntu 11.10 then upraded to 12.10.
In both instances there is a problem with the video driver.

Dragon Player and VLC will launch but not load DVD, and downloaded video files either won't play or soon freeze up.

Must be a KDE ATI driver issue, as everything works well under Ubuntu and ArtistX, which default to Gnome.

I'm completely sold on everything KDE, especially after discovering redonq.

This morning I attempted to download additional drivers via the gui under system menu, but the driver fails to load.

I've also tried to reinstall Dragon Player, and VLC via Synaptic as many times missing files are identified and installed.

Software updater indicates system up to date.

Any pointers toward resolution would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Asus M4A89GTD PRO /USB3, AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz, 8GB Corsair XMS3 133MHz ,90GB OCZ SSD
1TB WD SATA HD, ATI Radeon HD 5770, BX5a audio monitors
google01103
Manager
when you say works fine under Ubuntu you mean the same install on the same pc just diff desktop environments?

do you have package libdvdread4 installed?

downloaded video files that don't play are of what type?

have you tried sMplayer (requires mPlayer)?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

op3studios
Registered Member
Thanks for your reply,

I've been using Ubuntu flavors for several years, lately set to KDE desktop which I like so much I'm installing Kubuntu.

The video files are ones that typically do play without issue in Ubuntu. Movie DVD's, and MPEG, AVI, etc.

libdvdread4 is installed and up to date.

I will try to install the program you recomended, with the hopes that a system fix will be included.

I've been using Synaptic for it's ability to find and install required missing libraries. Is Muon adept at this as well?

Thanks.

Jim
google01103
Manager
still bit confused, when video & dvd worked it was on this pc but with Ubuntu, not Kubuntu installed? You did a fresh install of Kubuntu, not just added the KDE repos to Ubuntu? Trying to determine if video works when logging in to Gnome but not into KDE assuming both desktop environments are installed.

if you run in Konsole "vlc -v" and then play something are relevant error messages displayed? if you run in Konsole "dragon"?

if you disable composting alt+shift+F12 does it help?

if you login as a diff user?

op3studios
Registered Member
when video & dvd worked it was on this pc but with Ubuntu, not Kubuntu installed? Correct, this is a fresh install of Kubuntu on it's own pristine partition, on the same pc were video works correctly in Ubuntu; in both Gnome and KDE.
(I do multi-boot Ubuntu Artist X for studio work. And windows to help friends...I wish Kubuntu to be my daily ride.)

Calling forth vlc via Konsole launches vlc sucessfully.
Attempting to play DVD disc in drive brings response:

<
tim@System-Product-Name:~$ vlc -v
VLC media player 2.0.1 Twoflower (revision 2.0.1-0-gf432547)
[0xd0e108] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.2.0
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
** No css library available. See **
** /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/README.css **
** for more information. **
libdvdnav: DVD Title: WALKABOUT_DISC01
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 3c7065c8
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): WALKABOUT_DISC01
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/tim/.dvdnav/WALKABOUT_DISC01.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00fe0000. Regions: 1
[0x7fc864000b78] main input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
[0x7fc848001638] dvdnav demux warning: cannot get next block (Error reading from DVD.)
[0x7fc848051078] main decoder warning: no vout found, dropping subpicture
[0x7fc848051078] main decoder warning: can't get output subpicture
[0x7fc848001638] dvdnav demux warning: cannot get next block (Error reading NAV packet.)

>

Launching dragon via konsole brings up kde crash handler.

This is a fresh install on a proven system.

AMD Catylist control center is installed and recognizes card.

Curiouser and curiouser....
google01103
Manager
If you look at the output it states you can't play encrypted dvd's because libdvdcss is not installed "libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.", I don't use Kubuntu but my understanding is that its included in libdvdread4 package. This page states you need to run "sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh" after installing libdvdread4 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... layingDVDs

op3studios
Registered Member
many thanks Bill.
your solution worked.

May I ask your favorite version of KDE?
KDE works well with my way of thinking and I'm still trying out flavors.

Jim
op3studios
Registered Member
note:

libdvdread4 was installed in original OS install.

<sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh> was the missing execution.
op3studios
Registered Member
and duh!

Kubuntu 12.04 instead of 12.10....
google01103
Manager
I use openSUSE, been like forever so I'm comfortable with it and it's respos (and there are tons of repos). I haven't really tried many others as there's not been a compelling need and with no need have I have no interest. What I really like about openSuse is that there are multiple versions of KDE available and unlike some distros they are available for editions other than the latest.

My advice is that if you're familiar and comfortable with what you're running stay with it unless there's a reason to change, to me a reason would be no current KDE release. Look for familiarity like the package manager and/or a distro of the same family tree (Mint should be a good choice for you as is derived from Ubuntu) as this makes the transition smoother. Of course if you have time and wish to explore diff distro's feel freem there's a lot to choose from and distrowatch.com would be a good place to start. There's also threads her and elsewhere about who has the best KDE implementation..

ps - please mark thread as solved