This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No notifications upon audio CD insert

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tlayton_at_work
Registered Member
I build KDE from trunk (using kdesvn_build) on Kubuntu 8.10. When I insert an audio CD, I'm not receiving any notifications, or popup dialogs for selecting applications.

I can start kscd and it detects/plays the CD fine.

Is there a config I'm missing someone, or is this feature currently missing from/planned for KDE4.2+?

Note: dmesg shows that it doesn't recognize the CD. Could be part of the issue. Not sure.

Thanks, Tom
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
. I don't get any notifications either. I would say that it is currently unimplemented, and I do not see it on the plan for KDE 4.2 either :(

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Dryfit
Registered Member
OS
Same problem over here. I can't even play them

Dryfit, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
hence.persson
Registered Member
The same here.. Iḿ kind of getting tired of the new kde nothing is better just different.. I want the old daemon back that asks me what i want to do upon insertion of dvds, cds, removable media and so on..

hence.persson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Those notifications will hopefully return at some point. The original KDE 3 infrastructure suffered the same problems as Printing did. It had to be completely thrown away as it was too integrated into the Linux way of doing things.

As a result of this huge wastage, the pillars of KDE were born ( Phonon, Solid, Akonadi, Decibel, Plasma ). All these were designed to prevent the huge wastage of developer time when underlying technologies changed. Now changes happen at a much lower level and affect all applications that use it, creating a more seamless environment and giving developers of small applications great abilities with little effort. Unfortunately switching to these pillars comes at a terrible initial price, and the result end users see is the loss of previous functionality like this, as no developer has had the motivation / time / other things are not finished to be able to implement it.

I personally hope that we get more than a little Plasma applet for device notifications in the future.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Linuxsusefan
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

ich habe ebenfalls festgestellt das sich bei meinem System ( OpenSuSE 11.0 & KDE 4.1.2 Relaese 49.2 ) die Audio-Medien nicht vom Dolphin & Amarok 2 erkennen lassen bzw diese gemountet werden. Film - DVD' s / USB Festplatten / Bild & Daten-CD' s etc funktionieren wie immer, aber eben die " Audio' s " nicht. Dennoch lassen sich Audio' s Bspw. mit Kaffeine 0.8.7 & K3B & KPlayer etc problemlos Be- & Verarbeiten so wie immer, nur das beim einlegen einer Audio-CD dies vom Dolpphin etc einfach ignoriert wird. Habe alle Möglichkeiten ( Codecs / Bibliotheken / Player etc ) geprüft bzw auch aktualisiert was aber keine änderung brachte. Hab mich dann durch viele verschiedene Foren gearbeitet und gesucht und hier & da ähnliches gefunden bzw dann hier gelesen das dies u.U. mit der " Baustelle KDE 4.x.x " zusammenhängt? Sollte es dennoch eine Möglichkeit geben dieses Problem anderweitig noch zu lösen, wird das dankend angenommen. Ansonsten kann man nur hoffen das dies bei irgendeinem Update wieder behoben wird und dann alles wieder funktiert wie es mal war, denn dies ist schon etwas Nervig. Trotzdem gefällt mir KDE 4 sehr gut und ich finde es gelungen. Hier muss man die Entwickler auch mal Loben, denn das war bzw ist ein harter Brocken Arbeit sowas zu Basteln. Ich arbeite ausschließlich nur mit o.g. Desktop und habe nur das ausschließlich dies bei mir in Betrieb was bisher, bis auf einige kleinere Mucken, tadelos seinen Dienst tut.

Edit: Ich hoffe das ich hier keinen Fehler gemacht habe weil ich auf Deutsch schreibe. Sollte aber eigentlich nicht weiter schlimm sein, denn hier gibt es ja einen Übersetzer welcher das für alle Lesbar macht was dies vielleicht besser erledigt als mein stark eingerostetes Englisch was keiner verstehen würde. :-)

Gruß Linuxsusefan :thumbs_up:

Die "SuS(i)E" & KDE sei mit euch, wo immer ihr auch seid!
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Linuxsusefan wrote:
Edit: Ich hoffe das ich hier keinen Fehler gemacht habe weil ich auf Deutsch schreibe. Sollte aber eigentlich nicht weiter schlimm sein, denn hier gibt es ja einen Übersetzer welcher das für alle Lesbar macht was dies vielleicht besser erledigt als mein stark eingerostetes Englisch was keiner verstehen würde. :-)

Gruß Linuxsusefan :thumbs_up:

No, please use english here. The problem with the translator is, it has no option to translate to english. The other way around works, sure.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
nooralamshahzad
Registered Member
Could not open up or even change almost any get in touch with in Kontact. We uninstalled Kontact in addition to Korganizer although nothing performs. The way can We resolved this matter or even totally reset to zero Kontact in addition to Korganizer to ensure that I can start out anew.