This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Enabling Graphics performance in my KDE machine !!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
shishirchulliyil
Registered Member
Hello friends, i am new to KDE and quite facing trouble initializing Graphics in my KDE Linux machine.
I have Nvidia GeForce Graphics card and can't figure how to install its drivers to enable best Graphics performance.
Also every time i logout and login my Wallpaper goes off and black screen appears.
Can anybody help me out...wud really appreciate your help... :)
yurchor
Registered Member
OS
It is hard to help you with the above mentioned data.

Please tell what is your distribution, KDE version, the model of NVidia card and the driver for this card that is installed in your system.
shishirchulliyil
Registered Member
yea..why not..
Its Linux Backtrack 5 R3 - KDE version 4 or lesser
Nvidia Geforce GT 630 M
yurchor
Registered Member
OS
You did not tell anything about already installed drivers. Well... if you do not mind about security in security-focused distribution you can install latest official NVidia proprietary drivers for the best 3D performance.

1) Download Newest Nvidia drivers from here

2) Open module blacklist as admin

Code: Select all
kdesudo kwrite /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add these lines and save:
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

3) Uninstall any previously installed NVidia drivers:

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

4) Update initramfs:

sudo update-initramfs -u

5) Reboot your computer

6) When an error message pops up saying that Ubuntu cannot load Nvidia drivers, choose Exit to terminal (Exit to console)

7) Login and cd to the directory where you saved your file

8 ) Install drivers

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-<Tab>

9) Start KDM

sudo service kdm start

Do anything at your own risk. I have neither Ubuntu 10.04 (your distro is based on this version) nor GT 630M to test.
shishirchulliyil
Registered Member
Thnx alot...
but i have some quetions
1. y i need to update "initramfs" ?
2. I already have the drivers for nvidia, and they are in ".exe" format so , how m i gonna install it....
would

simply install the drivers ??
yurchor
Registered Member
OS
shishirchulliyil wrote:Thnx alot...
but i have some quetions
1. y i need to update "initramfs" ?

Because without updating initial ram-drive image after rebooting system will try to load Nouveau driver again.
shishirchulliyil wrote:2. I already have the drivers for nvidia, and they are in ".exe" format so , how m i gonna install it....
would

simply install the drivers ??

Windows binary drivers (.exe) are incompatible with Linux and Mac systems. You need special drivers for Linux.

<Tab> key on keyboard invokes autocompletion. I've used it because you did not tell the architecture of your system, so this command should work for every binary package.

You might ask why so hard way to install, right? Because it is Ubuntu, Ubuntu engineers fail to make reliable GUI installer. On other distributions (openSUSE, Mageia) installation can be done with clicking two or three buttons. ;)
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Does Ubuntu really not have binary packages for the proprietary nvidia drivers? I highly doubt that.

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS
yurchor wrote:You might ask why so hard way to install, right? Because it is Ubuntu, Ubuntu engineers fail to make reliable GUI installer. On other distributions (openSUSE, Mageia) installation can be done with clicking two or three buttons. ;)

Nothing is quite like a good amount of FUD in the morning....
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia

Also from a technical perspective not the distributions are responsible for providing a simple interface but the driver provider (i.e. nvidia). This may seem obvious as the driver provider in this case is a binary provider and as such it would be in their interest to make the binaries as easy to use as possible. Saying the distributions are to provide that is like saying that a user is supposed to create their own operating system installer interface.

AMD's ATI drivers actually have a usable interface. One gets to wonder why nvidia does not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.
yurchor
Registered Member
OS
apachelogger wrote:
yurchor wrote:You might ask why so hard way to install, right? Because it is Ubuntu, Ubuntu engineers fail to make reliable GUI installer. On other distributions (openSUSE, Mageia) installation can be done with clicking two or three buttons. ;)

Nothing is quite like a good amount of FUD in the morning....
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia

He-he, FUD or not FUD, after installing drivers in a proposed way you will have unbootable to KDE system (not saying that 630M support was implemented only in June of this year). Linus can show his finger to anyone but the fact that NVidia does not have Optimus drivers cannot cancel the fact that Ubuntu developers created packages that cannot be installed successfully for 10.04.

If you do something, do it right. Or do not do it at all.
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS
yurchor wrote:He-he, FUD or not FUD, after installing drivers in a proposed way you will have unbootable to KDE system (not saying that 630M support was implemented only in June of this year).

?

yurchor wrote:Linus can show his finger to anyone but the fact that NVidia does not have Optimus drivers cannot cancel the fact that Ubuntu developers created packages that cannot be installed successfully for 10.04.

?

Also how did we get from "there is no user interface" to "packages were broken"?

yurchor wrote:If you do something, do it right. Or do not do it at all.

That statement is wrong on so many levels I don't even feel like commenting.

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.
shishirchulliyil
Registered Member
yurchor :

can you suggest solution for me getting a black screen as wallpaper every time i login.
I always change the wallpaper. But every time i logoff and login again it disappears and a black screen un shown as wallpaper. Please suggest Something.
yurchor
Registered Member
OS
shishirchulliyil wrote:yurchor :

can you suggest solution for me getting a black screen as wallpaper every time i login.
I always change the wallpaper. But every time i logoff and login again it disappears and a black screen un shown as wallpaper. Please suggest Something.

It may happen that the solution from this topic can help.