This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kmix not displaying microphones (capture devices)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
monontrekker
Registered Member
OS
I am using an HP G62 laptop to run kubuntu 12.04. I have upgraded to kde 4.9 and kmix 4.2 while trying to solve my problem which is that the microphone does not display in kmix. Had a similar problem in kubuntu 10.04 that was solved by an update: linux-backports-modules-alsa. A new update was supplied for each kernel update. Now, with 12.04 I am back to where I was originally with 10.04. I have controls when using alsamixer. Also, in kmix under 'Settings', 'Configure channels...' does not appear as an option. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

thank you,
monontrekker
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Doesn't it just show a generic capture device? That should just work, it does for me here on a Lenovo laptop.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
monontrekker
Registered Member
OS
It does show a generic capture device, but it does not show: Master, Headphone, PCM, Front mic boost, Beep, Capture, mic boost,
mic boost (capture), speaker, digital. If all these are available on the sound card, I would think they should show up in kmix. All those devices show up in alsamixer.

thanks
sandsmark
KDE Developer
OS
monontrekker
Registered Member
OS
I am not using pulseaudio. It is not installed.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
What is the output of the following command?
Code: Select all
arecord -l

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Mamarok
Manager
OS
monontrekker wrote:I am not using pulseaudio. It is not installed.

That is more than strange then, as Kubuntu 12.04 ships pulseaudio by default. Did you remove it?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...