This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

K3B doesn't recognize MP3?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mowriter
Registered Member
OS

K3B doesn't recognize MP3?

Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 pm
I open a new audio CD project, select my folder I want to pull from, select my mp3's and drag them to the project window at bottom.

I get a "Problems While adding files to the project" error message, followed under Details by "Unable to handle the following files due to an unsupported format:
You may manually convert these audio files to wave using another application supporting the audio format and then add the wave files to the K3b project.
/06 - XXXXX.mp3"

Am I to undertand that kb3 doesn't recognize the #1 most known audio file format in the world? PLEASE tell me there's an issue with my release that this program can't recognize and convert MP3 to wav. This IS better than going the Microsoft media player route, right?! >:(
jahidulislam
Registered Member
OS
Does it happen with all mp3 files or few of them ? You have to install install K3b-codec, lame.
mowriter
Registered Member
OS
It happens with MP3 files. I have no wav files, I only use mp3s if I can help it.

Could you explain the "install install K3b-codec, lame" comment (n00b, here). I entered that phrase into the command promot (with one "install" command) and got a message "cannot stat k3b codec: no such file or directory"
???

jahidulislam wrote:Does it happen with all mp3 files or few of them ? You have to install install K3b-codec, lame.
jahidulislam
Registered Member
OS
Sorry it will be k3b-codecs.
mowriter
Registered Member
OS
jahidulislam wrote:Sorry it will be k3b-codecs.

What will be? You're saying google "k3b-codecs" and download whatever comes back in search results?

I need more detailed steps, like "go to this URL, download x, click install, etc. If that's applicable.

Your answer didn't answer anything for me. N0000b I am.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You should open Synaptic (or the Ubuntu Software Center) then search for that term (k3b-codecs) and install it. Then restart K3b.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mowriter
Registered Member
OS
I'm running Ubuntu. A search in Software center resulted in the following:

"No items match "k3b-codecs" - Software Center was unable to come up with any suggestions that may aid you in your search".

I believe the SC is already configured to show "universe" results (under the "Software Sources" section). In fact I've set it to download every downloadable option available in SC.

bcooksley wrote:You should open Synaptic (or the Ubuntu Software Center) then search for that term (k3b-codecs) and install it. Then restart K3b.
jahidulislam
Registered Member
OS
I guess this the package you are looking for libk3b6-extracodecs [link].

install ibk3b6-extracodecs from USC or use terminal

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install libk3b6-extracodecs

It is better to use synaptic (install it from usc) for installing packages in future. Because it is far better than USC.
mowriter
Registered Member
OS
THANK YOU. That was the type of information I needed. I know I can request packages from the command line, but I'm otherwise in the dark about exact commands and naming conventions. Getting there.

K3b now recognizes mp3's. Does it auto convert them to wav's for burning? Or do I have to convert first and then burn? I've tried both ways and gotten errors both times. Converting to wav then trying to put the wavs on the CD generates the following:

OPC Failed. Probably the writer doesn't like the medium.

This sounds like the problem may be with the CD, itself? Trying out a few other random discs from the pack.

jahidulislam wrote:I guess this the package you are looking for libk3b6-extracodecs [link].

install ibk3b6-extracodecs from USC or use terminal

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install libk3b6-extracodecs

It is better to use synaptic (install it from usc) for installing packages in future. Because it is far better than USC.