This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

subtitlecomposer handbook not found

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lazylew
Registered Member
OS

subtitlecomposer handbook not found

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm
I found this KDE-software for editing movie subtitles called "subtitlecomposer".
Not knowing how it works, I clicked Help. The KDE-documentation that pops up tells me to look for it in KDE-documentation and file a bug if it's not found.
In the site for filing bugs the application's name can't be found though.
Is there any handbook for this software?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Where did you find this software exactly?
I'm not aware of any KDE application named "SubtitleComposer" - at least it is not a KDE main module or Extragear application.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
lazylew
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Where did you find this software exactly?
I'm not aware of any KDE application named "SubtitleComposer" - at least it is not a KDE main module or Extragear application.

In Synaptic. The description there is:

A text-based subtitles editor for KDE supporting basic operations (text,
time and style edition), realtime previewing and spell checking. Other
fancy features are delaying all subtitles in the current subtitle file,
checking errors or creating translations.
Different backends (GStreamer, MPlayer, Phonon or xine) can be used to play
the realtime video preview which helps to synchronize the subtitles.

And on the web I also found this:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=69822
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
For handbooks, an application will only have one if either KDE ships with one or if the application ships with it and installs it in the appropriate location for KDE to use it. KDE usually only ships with the handbooks for those applications distributed as part of the main KDE release - Extragear applications usually ship their own handbooks.

In this case, it seems no handbook was shipped which is why KDE Help Center was unable to locate a handbook for SubtitleComposer. As for no entry existing on the KDE Bug Tracker, application developers must request this to be provided, and that has not happened in this instance.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
lazylew
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:For handbooks, an application will only have one if either KDE ships with one or if the application ships with it and installs it in the appropriate location for KDE to use it. KDE usually only ships with the handbooks for those applications distributed as part of the main KDE release - Extragear applications usually ship their own handbooks.

In this case, it seems no handbook was shipped which is why KDE Help Center was unable to locate a handbook for SubtitleComposer. As for no entry existing on the KDE Bug Tracker, application developers must request this to be provided, and that has not happened in this instance.
Thank you for the explanation. I guess I'll better find another tool for this niche kind of work then.
Any suggestions from other moviefans are welcome 8)
EDIT: fiddled around a bit with it, and it did what I wanted; happy enough with this tool 8)