This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

clementine causes kde to crash

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
labatts
Registered Member
OS

clementine causes kde to crash

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:10 pm
Just not sure where to file this bug. Should I file it on bugs.kde.org? It isn't a kde app, which is why I ask.

If your interested: fresh install of kubuntu 12.10. I tried switching the backend to VLC. That had no effect. It plays fine for a while until it eventually locks up the whole desktop. The only way I can stop it is a hard restart.

Thanks for any help / advice.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: clementine causes kde to crash

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:27 pm
Can you reproduce it with another desktop/window manager? You could try e.g. OpenBox which shouldn't take that much space to install.

Personally I think there's something wrong with Clementine (maybe 100 % CPU?), but it's hard to say.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
google01103
Manager

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:57 am
fyi - Clementine only uses the Gstreamer backend

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:26 am
google01103 wrote:fyi - Clementine only uses the Gstreamer backend

It actually uses Gstreamer directly, not Phonon, so any changes in Phonon will have no influence over Clementine's behavior. It is not KDE software, after all.

Also, Clementine has a website where you can find indications on where to file bugs to: http://www.clementine-player.org/

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
labatts
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:42 am
Ah, okay thanks. Irritatingly, I haven't been able to reproduce this problem. It happened twice yesterday, but only when I was actually working. I let it run (intentionally), and nothing. Perhaps it is a good thing, but I am leary since nothing has changed.
labatts
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:03 pm
Apparently, it is not clementine. I thought it was clementine because I tend to listen to it when I work, but I just got a crash / freeze without clementine running. Does anybody know what I can do to isolate the problem?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:47 pm
Well, if you get a crash by a KDE application then Dr. Konqi should pop up, no?

Since you are apparently using Kubuntu, apport does detect system element crashes and you have a "crash" icon with an exclamation mark show up in the system tray. Click on it and follow the instructions.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
labatts
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:55 pm
Thanks Mamarok, but I am getting none of this. It simply freezes. If I wait it out, it restarts the system.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:23 pm
That doesn't sound like software problem, are you sure it is not overheating? Please check the temperature of your system.

Ctrl+Esc will show up the System Activity monitor which should show you if an application is using excessive CPU that could lead to overheating. Especially with some Lenovo and Dell notebooks the fan handling is not done well with the average kernels, in that case you should install "thinkfan" and have a look at the thinkfan wiki for more instructions on how to configure your system: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed

Careful though, as these settings need to be done correctly, so double check all your lines when you modify the kernel settings.

labatts
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:06 pm
Well, I haven't had any luck with "thinkfan", but I have moved my computer to get better airflow. I am testing it by running a bunch of processes at the same time. If this fixes it (I had it under a cabinet prior, but perhaps the new install doesn't handle the fan the same?) then all is well. Time will only tell, I guess. The good news is I can hear the fan running!
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:14 pm
Of course thinkfan is only useful if you actually do have a laptop. What is important is that you ensure good air circulation and that nothing blocks the fan.
Did doing that solve the problem with the freezes?

labatts
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:07 pm
I am hoping so. I will report back tommorrow, but its been several hours of music playing while i do yard work. So, I think that is the case. I will have to do some moving of cords, but otherwise a happy ending. Thanks for the help!
labatts
Registered Member
OS
I'm Not sure if there is a way to close this post or what, but I feel like I should finish this off in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation. It was not Clementine that was causing the crash. I still do not know what was. It also was not overheating.

However, I switched from kubuntu 12.10 to opensuse 12.2. I have not had a crash since. The thing is, opensuse is is using 4.8.something, while kubuntu is using 4.9.something. I also have no idea if they are using different kernels. Who the heck knows if this has anything to do with it, but it is a difference. My home directory is the same, so most everything else is the same (minus some green instead of blue). So, hopefully I don't run into the problem again when I am back to 4.9.

At any rate, thank you Mamarok, google01103, and Hans. Your help was much appreciated.