This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

FLAC compression via Dolphin

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
noimporta
Registered Member

FLAC compression via Dolphin

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:35 pm
Hi to all.

I'm a new user of KDE (4.9.3) and I'm loving it, :). I'm still rather unexperienced, so I hope you'll be patient with my post, which I think may sound silly to you many often, :-/.

Ok, the first think I'd want to ask in this forum is about Dolphin and audio extraction from CD. I love how easy and intuitive is to insert a disc, open Dolphin and there you have all the possible compression formats ordered in folders, no need to install or use anything else. Just brilliant! But it seems there's no option to configure compression degree for FLAC files (or at least I haven't found it).
I see in the system settings tool that I can set the degree of compression, and other options, for OGG and MP3, but there's nothing for FLAC. Do I need to install something? Can I change the default value somewhere, perhaps through console?
I know I can compress, and indicate the level of compression, FLACs using the console, but then I wouldn't need Dolphin, and it's way more handy to drag and drop the virtual folders that Dolphin offers when inserting a CD, so I'd prefer to use Dolphin.

Thank you, and best regards.
google01103
Manager

Re: FLAC compression via Dolphin

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:11 pm
found old bug report on this https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108033

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

noimporta
Registered Member

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:56 pm
Sorry for the delay in responding.

So, people is demanding that feature since 2005 and those are all the news about the subject in 7 years? O_o
Well, it's a bit decepting, it seemed so witty the possibility to rip CDs directly from te file manager...
I can always use the console, but then why do I need a KIO slave to rip CDs? I'd prefer something graphical, drag & drop style, so I'll have to install some external encoding software, like in Windows. :-\

Thanks for your answer anyways.

Edit:
Let me ask something else: Despite the lack of a graphical tool to set the compression, is the default value set in some text file I can edit easily and set it to the highest compression (8)?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:12 pm
Maybe just because most people don't use FLAC compression levels so often. I for instance do rip my CDs in FLAC as far as classical music is concerned, but I never bothered to change the compression level, as the default is just fine for my use.

If you want this to be implemented people need to vote massively for the feature request and write to the developers, else it it will not get on their radar, especially not since that feature request is so old and hasn't seen a vote in many years. So far only 6 people voted for it, that will not have much influence.

Nonetheless, I just added my vote as well :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
noimporta
Registered Member

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:41 pm
I suppose you are right, Mamarok, and most people are happy with the default settings even if I see no reason for not compressing at maximum unless you have a rather old computer; there's little difference between compressing at level 5 and level 8, yes, but when we are talking about collections with dozens of thousands FLAC tracks, the space saved begins to be significative.

I have looked how to vote that feature request, but it seems I have to create an account for bugs.kde.org.
This is a suggestion for the admins: couldn't the account created for forum.kde.org be valid for every kde.org site? Like Google: you have yor Google account and no matter in which Google site you are, just log in Google, Gmail, Google+, etc, once and you are into every Google service automatically. I think it would be more practical.

Edit
I forgot. Do you know, Mamarok, if the degree of compression is set in any configuration file editable by users or is it set in some binary file uncomprehensible for non programmers?

Thanks
gdebure
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:33 pm
I know next to nothing FLAC encoding, but the code has some lines that say :
Code: Select all
// The options match approximely those of flac compression-level-3
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_do_mid_side_stereo(d->encoder, true);
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_loose_mid_side_stereo(d->encoder, true); // flac -M
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_max_lpc_order(d->encoder, 6);            // flac -l6
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_min_residual_partition_order(d->encoder, 3);
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_max_residual_partition_order(d->encoder, 3); // flac -r3,3
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_blocksize(d->encoder, 4608);
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_streamable_subset(d->encoder, true);
if (size > 0)
    FLAC__stream_encoder_set_total_samples_estimate(d->encoder, size/4)

Is that the FLAC compression settings ? If yes, it looks like they are hard coded... :(

Skrooge, a personal finances manager powered by KDE4
http://skrooge.org
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:40 am
noimporta wrote:I have looked how to vote that feature request, but it seems I have to create an account for bugs.kde.org.
This is a suggestion for the admins: couldn't the account created for forum.kde.org be valid for every kde.org site? Like Google: you have yor Google account and no matter in which Google site you are, just log in Google, Gmail, Google+, etc, once and you are into every Google service automatically. I think it would be more practical.

This is work in progress, the KDE sysadmins are working hard on making this possible, but there is a lot of legacy signups on the various servers to be handled. In the case of bugs.kde.org it is already partially implemented, but I strongly suggest you use the same credentials for bugs.kde.org as you do already for identity.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
noimporta
Registered Member

Re:

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 am
gdebure wrote:I know next to nothing FLAC encoding, but the code has some lines that say :
Code: Select all
// The options match approximely those of flac compression-level-3
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_do_mid_side_stereo(d->encoder, true);
FLAC__stream_encoder_set_loose_mid_side_stereo(d->encoder, true); // flac -M

Is that the FLAC compression settings ? If yes, it looks like they are hard coded... :(

AFAIK the default FLAC compression level is 5, not 3, but who knows if KDE uses its own settings, and they are hard coded, as you say. Thanks for your help. I hope somebody may read this thread and cast some more light.