This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to set the paper size in skanlite?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
piedro
Registered Member
OS
Hello!

I like to use skanlite to scan with my HP multifunction printer. This works quite allright with the gnome application simplescan. When I try to use skanlite, I don't see any option (not in the dokumentation either) to set the papersize for the resulting scan. For some reason i always get a US letter size as default, though the printer driver is set to A4.

How can I set the papersize, before or after scanning, to match the A4 format?

thx for your help,
piedro
john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
The scanner is not the printer even in a multifunction device; so scanner settings are different from printer settings. I haven't had the same problem with scanlite. Have you tried using the HP Device Manager to change the scanner settings?

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
piedro
Registered Member
OS
Well you are right, I tried to set the fax resolution obviously. But this doesn't solve the problem: The device manager gives me printer settings but there is no scan settings at all. When I start xsane I cannot change the papersize also - it says it scans 203mm 295mm - clearly not A4 as I would like it and as the scan flatbed is made for ...

Any idea?

thx p.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I suspect the GNOME application is doing something that neither the SANE folks nor Skanlite know about. It would seem that both xsane and skanlite are trusting certain values reported by the scanner driver (or are assuming US Letter) while the GNOME application is using different values from elsewhere.

As xsane is affected as well, it may be helpful to ask the SANE developers what is going on here as they may know what is happening...

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
piedro
Registered Member
OS
thx for your clarification.

I have found the workaround to first scan with Simple Scan (yes, I know, it's not KDE ...) and then use the "cut" function in the menu, which offers to cut to different papersize formats. (This would be a nice addition to Skanlite also btw!). It's no solution but does the trick ...

thx again,
piedro
piedro
Registered Member
OS
Now I updated to KDE 4.10 and skanlite still can't set the papersize of the scanner ...
Btw it also cannot save as PDF file - I seriously recommend using the gnome application for scanning ...

thx, piedro
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
To the best of my knowledge, Skanlite is not part of the KDE SC, but is an extragear application, so it's releases operate on a different schedule entirely.

KDE Sysadmin
piedro
Registered Member
OS
thx bcooksley for your clarification!
I thought Skanlite would be the official scanning interface of the KDE desktop.
What is the official scanning application by KDE then - I'd really like to test it.

thx again for your help,
piedro
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
To the best of my knowledge, Skanlite is the only scanning application available at this time for the KDE 4.x series unfortunately.

KDE Sysadmin
piedro
Registered Member
OS
thx but: Ouch!

Meaning KDE 4.10 is still very much incomplete for doing productive everyday computer work ...

thx for your quick responses and your help,
piedro
laffond
Registered Member
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:To the best of my knowledge, Skanlite is the only scanning application available at this time for the KDE 4.x series unfortunately.

Well, there is also kooka:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Kooka
I don't know if it's still beeing worked on, but the development version works quite well here... (I don't do much scanning, though)

And yes, it has an option for setting the paper size! ;) (don't know, if it works though)

A package for openSUSE is available in the KDE Playground repo:
http://software.opensuse.org/download?p ... Playground
piedro
Registered Member
OS
I am on KDE 4.12 now and there is still no other scan tool than skanlite and there is still no possibility to set the papersize ...
(I know there's always xsane and gimp but thats a bit too much for just the quick scan - skanlite would be allright just needs to be customizable...)

p.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As far as I am aware, Skanlite is not being actively developed - based on the response above I would suggest trying Kooka if you are able to.

KDE Sysadmin
piedro
Registered Member
OS
How do you install kooka? I don't find it in any arch repository, the website doesn't exist anymore, the Arch User Repositories don't even list it (maybe a different name?)?

Is this still developed for KDE 4? Seems to me like an even further regression ...

thx, p.