This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Clementine crashing ...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Hoser Rob
Registered Member

Clementine crashing ...

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 pm
Well, it actually seems to be projectm that's crashing. It hasn't happened when I don't use the visualization.

This on a few day old kubuntu 12.04 lts install, replacing xubuntu 12.10 (I'd really prefer the lts and kde hasn't changed from 12.04 to 12.10 as much as xfce has). I also had kde-desktop installed, which I liked much better.

The main reason I installed kde and then kubuntu was that lots of my favorite apps (esp. dolphin, clementine and smplayer) are Qt based so I thought they may work more nicely. By and large, that's true. Smplayer renders better and clementine, beyond the visualization problem, seems to sound better.

However, under kde-desktop over xubuntu 12.10, clementine worked absolutely fine. I wasn't expecting this sort of problem with a simplified system. Frankly the only reason I use clementine instead of amarok is the visualizations. I like projectm. It's a wee bit embarrassing to me that the only other time I've seen it crash is a friend of mine's system, which is poorly maintained windows XP.

I'm guessing I'll be directed to sourceforge or clementine, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas.
google01103
Manager

Re: Clementine crashing ...

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:39 pm
try renaming the ~/.projectM folder

any relevant messages if you start it in Konsole

look at the end of ~/.xsession-errors after the crash

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Hoser Rob
Registered Member

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:46 pm
google01103 wrote:try renaming the ~/.projectM folder

any relevant messages if you start it in Konsole

look at the end of ~/.xsession-errors after the crash

Thanks for the response ... I'll have to ponder a bit, never tried running projectm from terminal before.

I tried turning off vsync earlier because I plug an external monitor into my laptop and have been running the visualizations in the larger screen. I forgot that vsync only works on one screen. It still crashed. As far as I can see, even worse.
google01103
Manager

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:56 pm
no, just rename the ~/.projectM folder (I'm assuming that is their config settings) is too see if it's a config setting causing the crash

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Hoser Rob
Registered Member

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 pm
I looked at the /projectm folder and it contains a lot more than config settings, so I don't think just renaming it will help, but thanks anyway.

After some more looking, I think there may bbe a bug in the version I'm using. I'll try to install an older version of clementine (and figure that out ... installing older versions is about the only thing I miss about windows) or try a system upgrade.

Frankly, kde-desktop 4.9.something over xubuntu 12.10 worked better than kubuntu 12.04.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 pm
Hoser Rob wrote:Frankly, kde-desktop 4.9.something over xubuntu 12.10 worked better than kubuntu 12.04.

Comparing apples and oranges := How about comparing it to Kubuntu 12.10 with the same KDE version? at least do compare what is comparable, in this case the same underlying structure.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...