This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No microphone for me (Phonon?)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Llama
Registered Member
OS

Re: No microphone for me (Phonon?)

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 am
bcooksley wrote:This indicates that "hw:0,0" and "hw:0,2" should be the right options for you to use.
As a last ditch option, check for any old or incorrect ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf files.

No .asoundrc in my system (Archlinux, kernel 3.8.7), no /etc/asound.conf. There's just /etc/modprobe.d/ empty, too. I consulted the ArchWiki, I browsed the forum, I asked questions, I took advices - no use. A hardware problem? No: the headset has been tested elsewhere, and just as I insert the microphone jack, there's a nice snap. I've got a new motherboard, pretty much the same audio hardware; none too exotic chipset, isn't it? But the snap is all I've got in the line of mike functionality since 2008 (that's when I migrated to Linux :) .

There's an official document: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... ration.txt

I've given it a try, a couple of years ago, without success. It's probably time I tried once more.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 am
Yep. Unfortunately if ALSA cannot make your microphone work (even though it seems to acknowledge it's presence) then there is very little KDE can do to access it i'm afraid.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Llama
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 pm
bcooksley wrote:Yep. Unfortunately if ALSA cannot make your microphone work (even though it seems to acknowledge it's presence) then there is very little KDE can do to access it i'm afraid.

I've put alsa-base.conf into /etc/modprobe.d:
options snd-hda-intel model=auto

You know what? I've got some real sound trickle from the mike to the speakers. Mic and Mic Boost sliders doesn't seem to have any effect on this. More interesting still, I've had exactly the same picture on my old motherboard with very similar audio hardware. Let's sort it out.

(1) One system, two sets of hardware, exactly the same problem.
(2) The hardware is absolutely commonplace.

This doesn't look like 'grass roots' problem after all. All the drivers are in place, devices visible, even some sound is coming through. This is a little elusive something just above the kernel level. I just can't imagine yet another avenue of research.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:50 am
So if you make recordings using arecord or Audacity this gives you viable recordings?
If the only issue is volume, i'm not sure what can be done unfortunately, especially if all appropriate recording sliders have been maximised.

It may be worth checking what volume levels Pulseaudio is set at however to ensure it is not interfering though.

KDE Sysadmin
Llama
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:52 am
After a lot of reading and experimenting I've got a modicum of success. At least I hear my own voice better that the white noise. The key feature is probably the Rear Mic. Although I've changed a lot in the process, and some changes might be unnecessary or detrimental.

My present state of affairs:

Comments and advice is still welcome :)

BTW, why stereo?
$ arecord -f dat -d 10 -D hw:0,0 test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
$ arecord -f dat -d 10 -D hw:0,0 test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
[alexey@stovepipebox ~]$
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:18 am
Not sure why arecord tries to record in Stereo i'm afraid.
For fixing your white noise issues further, you might want to try disabling capture + muting one of the Capture sources, as well as turning down the "Digital" volume as well (as it may be a loop back, a feed of sound which would be going to your speakers). I've also heard that trying levels below 100% can be effective at cutting out white noise as well.

As with most things, particularly those involving ALSA, experimentation to find the best combination of settings for your hardware is the only way unfortunately.

KDE Sysadmin