This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KMix not detecting all applications that play sound

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alexandernst
Registered Member
OS
I just installed Arch x64 and KDE and I'm having some trouble with KMix + PulseAudio. I have sound, I can hear sound from Youtube videos, VLC, Spotify... but just each one of them at a time. I can't open VLC, start playing something and then open a Youtube video. Maybe this isn't KMix's fault but PulseAudio?
The subject of the topic is because KMix doesn't seem to detect more than one application at a time, so I can't control different apps's sound level.

How can I fix it?
google01103
Manager
maybe (not sure) that is a function of Phonon and for control of multiple sources you should install Veromix (KDE)of Pavucontrol (gtk?)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

alexandernst
Registered Member
OS
No, it's not because of pavucontrol or veromix. The problem is that once some application is using my sound card, no other application can access it. It's like the very old days with OSS when only one application could access the sound card.
alexandernst
Registered Member
OS
Ok, this can be closed. It turns out that I forgot to install pulseaudio-alsa and lib32-alsa-plugins . Everything works properly now :)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I would also recommend installing the appropriate Pulseaudio plugins for the Phonon backend you are using - usually GStreamer or VLC. This will ensure minimum resource use and minimise issues.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]