This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Allow only one instance of VLC

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mooop12
Registered Member

Allow only one instance of VLC

Wed May 08, 2013 2:54 pm
Just as the topic says. I enabled this option in preferences, and it works, but not quite. Everytime I try to open another file in VLC while it's still running KDE shows another window in the taskbar and there's VLC icon floating around the cursor. The movie starts in the old VLC windows, but that ghost window on the taskbar and the icon near the cursor remains for a while. It's just like KDE doesn't know VLC actually started playing the video. Is it possible to fix this?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Try opening the menu editor, find VLC and make sure "Enable launch feedback" is disabled for it.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mooop12
Registered Member

Re: Allow only one instance of VLC

Thu May 09, 2013 7:51 am
Big thanks, that works perfectly :)

I also have another issue, but didn't wanted to create a new thread. Is it possible to always show thumbnails in dolphin for files without clicking on the preview button? Also icons for exe files don't seem to work, I have that option enabled in dolphin settings, but even in preview mode I don't see those icons.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 am
I've never managed to get the *.exe file previewer working either i'm afraid, so i'm not sure what is required to make it function.

With regards to enabling display of previews by default - it seems the only way to do this is by setting Dolphin to use "Common properties for all folders", enable previews, and then change the setting back to "Remember properties for each folder" again (if desired).

You can find that setting at Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > General > Behaviour.
Note that the default settings will be overridden under "Remember properties for each folder" if previously changed.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mooop12
Registered Member

Thu May 09, 2013 8:45 am
Thanks, you were very helpful. I'm going to accept your answers, but if someone finds out a way to fix exe icons I would be grateful.
google01103
Manager

Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 am
mooop12 wrote:Thanks, you were very helpful. I'm going to accept your answers, but if someone finds out a way to fix exe icons I would be grateful.

no idea why it doesn't work for you but it works for me and I've never (as best as I can recall) done anything special to get it to work other than enabling it in Dolphin settings -> configure Dolphin -> general -> previews -> Microsoft Windows executables

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

mooop12
Registered Member

Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am
That's weird. Suddenly it started working, I can see the icons. It was a fresh install of wine so maybe the problem was that I had to restart my PC to get it to work.