This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

web camera not working with Skype

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
avinashbapat
Registered Member

web camera not working with Skype

Thu May 16, 2013 12:46 pm
I am using Kubuntu 12.4 - 32 bit version on my desktop. I have installed Skype-ubuntu-presice 4.1.0.20-1 on my desktop. I can make voice call without any problem. In video call I received video from opposite site but my camera does not transmit video signals. I am using HP web camera EW193AA#ACJ. In 'select camera' option menu I can see only one camera that is (USB Camera (093a:2621) (/Dev/Video0). 'Skype Video' is enabled in options. Please help me out to slove this problem.

Thanks,

Avinash Bapat.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: web camera not working with Skype

Sat May 18, 2013 11:13 pm
Please try another application to make sure your web cam is functioning.
This can easily be done in Kopete > Settings > Configure, which will give you a preview at least.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
avinashbapat
Registered Member
Yes, it is working in Kopete. I can see camera 'ON' LED is glowing. In Kopete the camera is detcted as (USB Camera (093a:2621). But in Skype the same camera is detected as (USB Camera (093a:2621) (/Dev/Video0). Even 'Skype video' is enabled in options menu, the camera does not get ON. The same camera is working with Phonon too.

Avinash Bapat.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: web camera not working with Skype

Tue May 21, 2013 10:28 am
Okay. Does Kopete show a working preview?

Also, does Skype have a test function which allows you to see if it can operate the camera? It definitely seems to be detecting the camera properly based on that output.

You might want to run Skype in a terminal as well, to see if any relevant output to utilising the webcam is output.

KDE Sysadmin
avinashbapat
Registered Member
Yes, Kopete showing working preview. Skype is detecting camera but the camera does not get ON. I ran skype in terminal still the result is same.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Did Skype output anything of interest to the terminal which may indicate why it is failing to function here?
If it is not outputting anything, then I suspect you will have to ask them why it is not functioning, as there is little we can do to diagnose such faults without any feedback from the application as to why it is failing to function properly.

KDE Sysadmin