This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sound Policy not running?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zeke
Registered Member

Sound Policy not running?

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:32 am
I'm trying to look for differences in two machines that show some different behavior related to audio. I have intended that they be set up the same. However, in the system settings>>startup and shutdown>>service manager list, one of them shows that "Sound Policy" is running, and the other shows that it is not. I would appreciate it if anyone can clue me in as to what causes this service to run or not??
thanks
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Sound Policy not running?

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 am
I've checked the Sound Policy service code, and it appears to monitor for the presence of ALSA devices.
On my system it is not running - which is not surprising as I use Pulseaudio.

Which system is functional - and do you use Pulseaudio?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
zeke
Registered Member

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 pm
This is related to my other thread about audio in kde 4.10. Both machines are running pulseaudio. The one on which Sound Policy is running behaves better.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:47 am
I see, that is not what I expected. Can you provide a brief summary of the problems?
One thing I can think of is that the necessary module to apply sound preferences is not loaded in Pulseaudio.

KDE Sysadmin
zeke
Registered Member

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:43 pm
Dealing w/ this stuff is enough to make me think I'm hallucinating. Sound Policy is now not running on either machine (no clue why) , and I can't reproduce the original condition.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:25 am
Okay. If the issue reoccurs, please feel free to reopen the topic. It was likely a Pulseaudio issue of some description, which has now resolved itself.

KDE Sysadmin
zeke
Registered Member

Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 am
Actually, as I look for it more, it seems to come and go, sometimes running, sometimes not. It seems to be related to ~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc. If this file is not present (i.e. I've deleted or moved it), I have never seen Sound Policy running. If it is there, Sound Policy may or may not be running. I think it may actually be created by Sound Policy if it's not there, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, as far as I can tell Sound Policy has no effect on anything else, so I guess it's a moot point.