This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to close KMix?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
naraesk
Registered Member
OS

How to close KMix?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 am
Hello,

when I click on the kmix icon in systray the little windows is popping up where I can adjust the volume. What is the correct way to close this window again? I'm not able to click on the kmix icon again because it's hidden by this window. And when click somewhere elso on my desktop the windows still stays open. This is very annoying! The networkmanager plasmoid works much better: click somewhere else and the popped up windows disappears.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: How to close KMix?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:39 am
On my system at least, clicking anywhere else other than the KMix popup causes it to close. Which version of KDE are you using?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
naraesk
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am
KDE Version: 4.10.4

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 am
Is "kded4" running, and is the "Status Notifier Manager" service enabled in System Settings > Startup & Shutdown > Service Manager?

KDE Sysadmin
naraesk
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:20 am
Yes, it's running. Anyway, how should this be related? Everythings works fine, there is just this one popup that doesn't close as expected. Just found out, that after clicking several times on the popup itself it is closed … sometimes. Strange behaviour.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:24 am
This is related because the icons are not appearing properly - they are using the legacy system instead of the newer one - which requires the above KDE service to be enabled in order to function.

The service is "Status Notifier Manager", and it can be enabled in System Settings > Startup & Shutdown > Service Manager. It should both be enabled and running.

KDE Sysadmin
naraesk
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:27 am
Ok, I see. This service is enabled and running.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:44 am
This is unusual then. Your system should be using the newer protocol - which should position the KMix popup window immediately above the top of the panel containing the system tray. Is the icon monochrome or coloured?

In any instance, clicking on other areas of the panel or desktop should still cause it to close though. At worst you can ask it to open the full mixer window, and then close that.

KDE Sysadmin
naraesk
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:57 am
Well, my control bar is on top of the screen and KMix is one of the hidden icons. So the upper right looks like this: http://wstaw.org/m/2013/06/26/plasma-desktopAa1902.png

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 am
Ah. Could you try setting KMix as a non-hidden icon to see what effect that has?

KDE Sysadmin
naraesk
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 am
Then it works fine. :)

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 am
Okay, please file a bug report at bugs.kde.org against the System Tray applet (plasma-desktop product) as it should still function properly, even when it is a hidden icon.

KDE Sysadmin