This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Only audio on replug cable

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Ryukku
Registered Member

Only audio on replug cable

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:23 am
Hi and greetings to the KDE-Community!

Since the upgrade from 4.8 to 4.10 there's a problem with my surround system. The system talks to me only on the surround speakers. But when I replug the front and center they work again and I have to do it every boot time. On alsamixer they are recognized correctly. What's wrong with the system? :o

I'm using KDE 4.10.5 with gentoo.
Do you need some more infos about my system?

Cheers Ryukku
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Only audio on replug cable

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 am
Does your system use Pulseaudio, and is logging out sufficient enough to trigger this or is a full reboot necessary (once it has been fixed)?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Ryukku
Registered Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 am
I don't use pulseaudio.
If I boot without KDM everything works fine. Every speaker plays music. As soon as I log in and get to the desktop the front and center speakers are muted. Alsamixer and kmix aren't changed and ok. If I log out they still aren't working, I have to replug them (or use a command I don't know ;) ).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:44 am
Can you try excluding KMix from the login process (by quitting it prior to logging out) and seeing if the problem recurs after you reboot?
Also, does logging back into KDE after replugging the cables cause the issue to occur again?

KDE Sysadmin
Ryukku
Registered Member

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 am
Replug, shutdown xdm/logout and restart xdm/login -> everything's fine.

If I quit Kmix before i leave KDE, it restarts the next login automatically. I disabled Kmixd in the KDE settings for this try. Kmix started again but in the settings Kmixd is disabled oO.
And it's still the same problem :\

I unmerged Kmix and rebooted. So I'm quite sure there is no kmix left.
But it hasn't changed anything :\

Maybe something with the mainboard. And why is the surround working? oO
Do you have an idea?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 am
Unfortunately not. My suspicion was that KMix was changing the volume levels and/or toggling the on/off status of the outputs.
Does this behaviour occur with another user? I'm suspecting some other form of saved configuration which could be causing this.

KDE Sysadmin
Ryukku
Registered Member

Re: Only audio on replug cable  Topic is solved

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm
Hey,

After unmerging, deleting, emerging alsa, adding user... I found out KDE is not the troublemaker. Sometimes the speaker were muted even if I didn't start KDE. I identified why and when and blabla and it was weird htw...
The alsa-infooutput gave me a good hint. The kernel said something about "autodetecting"...

In the end I upgraded the kernel from 3.6.11 to 3.10.7 and voila. Everythings fine! I really don't understand why but I'm glad it's working.
Thank you for your support =)! It really helped me.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 am
Not a problem.

KDE Sysadmin