This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Temporary Selection in Gwenview or digiKam?

Tags: gwenview, digikam, selection gwenview, digikam, selection gwenview, digikam, selection
(comma "," separated)
fakd
Registered Member
OS
Hello,
I have a folder full of photos. Now I want to select some of them for the photo shop to print. So what I'm looking for is a way that I can mark photos, so I get a collection and then say "move all these photos to my USB-stick" etc.
What I found so far is only in Gwenview a selection style similar as in dolphin, but that one is not permanent, when I want to view a photo in big (to see if it is worth printing) the whole selection is lost. So that is not useable... :-(

Where do I find such functionality or how do others do this?
Thanks!
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
What I do is using the "Copy to" shortcut in gwenview (F7) while clicking through my images. After chosing a folder for the images you want to select once, you can then just do "F7 Enter" when you want to use that image. It works pretty well for a moderate amount of images.

Cheers,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
fakd
Registered Member
OS
Hmm, doesn't sound so tempting.
You can't review your selection this way and you can lost quite fast the overview ("Did I already added this picture?"), but it seems there is no other way so far... :-/
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Why, you can easily open the folder you're copying to (even in a different instance of gwenview) to review your selection.
Attempting to copy an image twice will give a warning...

Of course it's not optimal, but it's quite good I think.

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
fakd
Registered Member
OS
I didn't say before, but actually this was for my mother who isn't computer savvy at all - thats why I was quite sceptical.

Today I showed it to her, well what can I say, everything went better then expected. :-)

Using your method you can actually trim the controls down to the cursor keys, return and F7 (and escape if needed), so no fancy key combos or mouse clicks etc. needed - this helps a lot!

So thanks a lot for the tip.