This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Skype & Plantronics CS60-USB

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bill-lancaster
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:21 pm
Can't get my Plantronics headset to work.
It's shown on the volume control & mixer.
Any help would be appreciated

Kubuntu 13.04
bill-lancaster
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:25 pm
Can't get this headset to work.
Volume control can see it.
There must be some setting that I should change.
Any help would be appreciated.

Kubuntu 13.04
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Re: Skype & Plantronics CS60-USB

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:44 pm
Hm, what exactly is it? Do you plug it in or is it wireless? Have you tried pavucontrol? Have you checked your settings in systemsettings - multimedia - phonon and what is your backend?

Right, that should be enough to get us started :)

Debian testing
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:32 pm
Which exact KDE version do you run? Also, in the Systemsettings -> Muiltimedia -> Audio and Video Settings -> Audio Hardware Setup tab, can you see the headset when it is connected and test all its functions?

FWIW: Skype is a proprietary application with little support for Linux, that might be the issue. If the headset works, Google Hangout might be an alternative.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:41 pm
I merged both posts, as it is pretty pointless to make two requests for the same item. Please do NOT cross-post in different forum sections.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
bill-lancaster
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:12 pm
1. Sorry about the double post, my first one seemed to dissapear and I couldn't see that it had been posted. The second post was written from scratch.
2. The C60-USB is a USB connection.
3. KDE 4.10.5
4. Phonon has GStreamer backend
5. Ha! Test functions in Phonon work fine (not sure if they did before)
6. Skype only has PulseAudio server (local) for all Sound Devices.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:33 pm
In System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon > Device Preferences, does moving the headset (in all categories, but particularly Communication) to the top help?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
bill-lancaster
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 am
Ah! I'm learning but not progressing!
Pushed Headset to the top in Communications category - no change.
This might be a topic for a Skype/Ubuntu forum is there is one.
As a matter of interest I do not have Phonon on my menu system (at least, not under 'Multimedia') however right click on the volume control icon the 'Audio Setup' brings up 'phonon - KDE Control module'
toad
Global Moderator
OS

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:52 am
No phonon? Hm huff...

Have you tried pavucontrol? A very decent gtk programme, dead easy to operate and you probably have it installed already. Try to call it up and click yourself to your Plantronics thingy - it may well be muted.

Debian testing
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 pm
Just a heads up: in Kubuntu, pavucontrol is integrated in the Systemsettings -> Multimedia, see my earlier question about the settings. So no need to install anything, as Kubuntu uses built-in PA support with Phonon since at least 12.04, probably even before.

toad
Global Moderator
OS

Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:15 am
Ah, the all knowledgeable Mamarok to the rescue of the *buntu illiterate :) Many thanks :)

Debian testing
bill-lancaster
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I found that pavcontrol was already installed as Mamarok says and of course it's in System Settings. as well as in the menu for volume control.
Also Skype shows it in it's audio setup. All kinds of fiddling with it hasn't done the trick.
I thank you both for your advice.
Have opened a topic in Linus-Skype Community.