This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

missing cdrecord (cdrtools) message - using mint 15

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jgoncalves
Registered Member
I am not able to get k3b to work on LinuxMint 15 Olivia
as soon as I select a dvd for back up a message is displayed that cdrecord is missing and suggesting to install cdrtools package which will contain cdrecord.
neither one is available among the software repository for Ubuntu/Mint.
I also received another message lettin me know:
'K3b uses transcode to rip Video DVDs. Please make sure it is installed.'
I was not able to find transcode either.

sorry for the beginner questions. I am able to follow commandline instructions, but I wouldn't be able to tell a good command from a bad one.
mostly point and click, sorry.
peace all
m
google01103
Manager
try installing the wodim (it's where a variation of cdrtools will be) and transcode and cdrdao and genisoimage packages, they should all be in the Ubuntu repositories - I would think that when installing K3b they would be installed with it but I don't use Mint or Ubuntu.

You could try reinstalling K3b, maybe it's dependencies will be installed with it

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

jgoncalves
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:try installing the wodim (it's where a variation of cdrtools will be) and transcode and cdrdao and genisoimage packages, they should all be in the Ubuntu repositories - I would think that when installing K3b they would be installed with it but I don't use Mint or Ubuntu.

You could try reinstalling K3b, maybe it's dependencies will be installed with it

Thanks for the good advice. I was able to find the packages within the repository and the installation apparently worked.
Both error messages, about cdrtools and also transcode missing, have not shown up again.
Although I haven't been able to rip a dvd directly. The log shows that each chapter of the dvd is tried and fails with an error.
I am able nonetheless to create an .iso file and save it to the hard drive. Not too bad.
Creating an exact copy of the dvd would be better. Or creating an exact copy while shrinking it to less than 4.7GB would be better still. As K9copy was able to.
I am not able to install that one since it's only available as a .tar.gz file and I haven't figured out how to install that either.
It's a tough world out there :)

peace yo.
m
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Some DVDs have DRM protection, you can not rip those.

As for the .iso: that is an exact copy of the DVD, you can burn a new one with it.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...