This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sound streaming via DLNA/UPnP

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
coogor
Registered Member
OS

Sound streaming via DLNA/UPnP

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:32 am
Hi,

I'm looking for an option to sent the sound output from a media player - kaffeine - to an external device that runs a DLNA/UPnP Client (in this case an old Android phone with Bubble UPnP). Is there a way to do so?
As far as I understood so far, DKNA Server like XMBC, minidlna or MediaTomb offer 'only' the option to stream the whole movie to a client.

Thanks!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Sound streaming via DLNA/UPnP

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:23 am
You probably want to look into what Pulseaudio is capable of doing here - I suspect it might offer the option to stream the system audio via the network - although i'm not sure if UPnP can be used to do this...

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
coogor
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:03 am
Hm, on the output side it just offers the internal and external speakers, but no streaming (via KDE-Systemsettings->Multimedia-> Settings)
sorry, was looking at phonon...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:29 am
I'm afraid Phonon itself won't offer this functionality - it is merely an abstraction which allows KDE to use the most appropriate backend per user preferences.

I doubt you'll be able to configure Pulseaudio to do this using the KDE tools, you will probably have to use the tools which come with Pulseaudio itself, or modify the configuration files used by Pulseaudio in order to get it to do what you are after here.

If you need a interface to do it through, I would suggest looking at pavucontrol and paprefs.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]