This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Phonon Help

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dbjork
Registered Member

Phonon Help

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:36 pm
Amarok 2.4.3.

I understand Amarok defers all sound problem questions to Phonon. Where can I get help with configuring Phonon? When I log into my jukebox phonon won't use its own sound cards. I tries to use the sound cards on the remote machine. This is certainly strange default behavior. How can I get phonon to use its own sound cards? Or is this a Pulse Audio issue?

This was not a problem with earlier versions of Amarok.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Phonon Help

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:55 pm
Sorry, but Amarok 2.4.3 is totally outdated, the current version is 2.8!

You really, really need to upgrade your system first, as you most likely also have a totally outdated Phonon version as well. We do not support any Amarok versions prior to 2.7.1, ditto for Phonon: you need at least 4.6, and a recent backend (phonon-backend-gstreamer 4.6.3 or phonon-backend-vlc 0.6.2 or higher, all other backends are not supported anymore). Your KDE version should be 4.10 or higher.

Please also always specify your distribution and your KDE version when asking questions.

I moved this to "Graphics&Multimedia", where the general sound questions belong, including Phonon related ones.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...