This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Codec for H.264 not being used

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gfurst
Registered Member
OS

Codec for H.264 not being used

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm
Hey folks, first time in the KDE forums since switching from Gnome in the last week or so. I like it a lot.

My problem is when trying to open videos files, the player will play audio and then complain about missing codec. Using the gui to find the codec won't result in anything.
I've experienced this with Dragon player, embedded and Amarok( its awesome that they supposedly can play them).

I have installed most of the needed gstreamer packages, although they may only be rule for gnome( idk):
Code: Select all
guiu@guiu-iMac:~$ aptitude search ~igst
i A gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0                                      - Description: GObject introspection data for the GStreamer Plugins Base libr
i A gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0                                             - Description: GObject introspection data for the GStreamer library
i A gstreamer0.10-alsa                                               - GStreamer plugin for ALSA
i A gstreamer0.10-gconf                                              - GStreamer plugin for getting the sink/source information from GConf
i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad                                        - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set
i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-base                                       - GStreamer plugins from the "base" set
i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-good                                       - GStreamer plugins from the "good" set
i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly                                       - GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set
i A gstreamer0.10-qapt                                               - GStreamer plugin to install codecs using QApt
i A gstreamer0.10-x                                                  - GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pango
i   gstreamer1.0-alsa                                                - GStreamer plugin for ALSA
i A gstreamer1.0-libav                                               - FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer
i   gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad                                         - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set
i A gstreamer1.0-plugins-base                                        - GStreamer plugins from the "base" set
i A gstreamer1.0-plugins-good                                        - GStreamer plugins from the "good" set
i A gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly                                        - GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set
i A gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio                                          - GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio 
i A gstreamer1.0-x                                                   - GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pango
i A libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0                                   - GStreamer development files for libraries from the "bad" set
i A libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0                                    - GStreamer development files for libraries from the "bad" set
i A libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0                                  - GStreamer libraries from the "base" set
i A libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0                                   - GStreamer libraries from the "base" set
i A libgstreamer0.10-0                                               - Core GStreamer libraries and elements
i A libgstreamer1.0-0                                                - Core GStreamer libraries and elements
i A libqtgstreamer-0.10-0                                            - C++ bindings library for GStreamer with a Qt-style API
i A phonon-backend-gstreamer                                         - Phonon GStreamer 0.10.x backend
i   qtgstreamer-plugins                                              - GStreamer plugins from QtGStreamer

Also installed supposed thumbnailers, and I think these work, thumbs appear on videos, but preview won't.
My "Audio and Video settings" only show options for Audio playback, Audio and video Recording, so I think something is missing here.

Thanks, I know this may be silly thing to solve, but I'm new to KDE and not everything seems trivial.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You need the plugins for gstreamer 0.10.x, not those for 1.0, s Phonon currently is not completely ported to the 1.x versions yet.

These are the packages I have installed here:

Code: Select all
i   gstreamer0.10-alsa                                                                      - GStreamer plugin for ALSA                                                                         
i   gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg                                                                    - FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer                                                                       
i   gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-dbg                                                                - FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer (debug symbols)                                                       
i   gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3                                                               - Fluendo mp3 decoder GStreamer 0.10 plugin                                                         
i A gstreamer0.10-gconf                                                                     - GStreamer plugin for getting the sink/source information from GConf                               
i   gstreamer0.10-nice                                                                      - ICE library (GStreamer 0.10 plugin)                                                               
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad                                                               - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set                                                             
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-dbg                                                           - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set (debug symbols)                                             
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse                                                    - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set (Multiverse Variant)                                         
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse-dbg                                                - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set (Multiverse Variant)                                         
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-base                                                              - GStreamer plugins from the "base" set                                                             
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps                                                         - GStreamer helper programs from the "base" set                                                     
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-dbg                                                          - GStreamer plugins from the "base" set                                                             
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-good                                                              - GStreamer plugins from the "good" set                                                             
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-dbg                                                          - GStreamer plugins from the "good" set                                                             
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly                                                              - GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set                                                             
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-dbg                                                          - GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set (debug symbols)                                             
i   gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio                                                                - GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio                                                                   
i   gstreamer0.10-qapt                                                                      - GStreamer plugin to install codecs using QApt                                                     
i A gstreamer0.10-tools                                                                     - Tools for use with GStreamer                                                                     
i   gstreamer0.10-x                                                                         - GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pango                                                               
i A libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0                                                          - GStreamer shared libraries from the "bad" set                                                     
i   libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0                                                         - GStreamer libraries from the "base" set                                                           
i A libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386                                                    - GStreamer libraries from the "base" set                                                           
i   libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0                                                          - GStreamer libraries from the "base" set                                                           
i   libgstreamer0.10-0                                                                      - Core GStreamer libraries and elements                                                             
i A libgstreamer0.10-0:i386                                                                 - Core GStreamer libraries and elements                                                             
i   libgstreamer0.10-0-dbg                                                                  - Core GStreamer libraries and elements                                                             
i   libgstreamer1.0-0                                                                       - Core GStreamer libraries and elements                                                             
i   libqtgstreamer-0.10-0                                                                   - C++ bindings library for GStreamer with a Qt-style API                                           
i   libqtgstreamerui-0.10-0                                                                 - QtGStreamerUi library                                                                             
i   phonon-backend-gstreamer                                                                - Phonon GStreamer 0.10.x backend                                                                   
i   phonon-backend-gstreamer-dbg                                                            - debugging symbols for the Phonon GStreamer 0.10.x backend                                         
i A python-gst0.10                                                                          - generic media-playing framework (Python bindings)                                                 
i   python-gst0.10-dbg                                                                      - generic media-playing framework (Python debug bindings)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
gfurst
Registered Member
OS

Re: Codec for H.264 not being used

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 pm
Mamarok wrote:You need the plugins for gstreamer 0.10.x, not those for 1.0, s Phonon currently is not completely ported to the 1.x versions yet.

Oh many thank many thanks, I actually had the 0.10 packages installed as recommendations, but missing were the ffmpeg and fluendo ones.
It now plays as supposed, even in preview. I'm finding KDE to be the awesomest of desktops!