This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I wish Juk (& other players) would min to the system tray.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Lady Aleena
Registered Member
OS
While playing music with and when I minimize Juk, I would like to see a little control panel appear on the far right of the task bar. Also, when minimized and when I cycle through my open programs with alt+tab, it will not be there. I create large playlists to listen to while I do a lot of other things on my computer, and sometimes I alt+tab a lot. There may be times I am writing a perl script in Kate, viewing it in IceWeasel, and looking for errors in Konsole all while Juk (or other media player) is playing music in the background.

Before I wrote this, I went looking to see if I was the only one who wanted something like this. I found bug 86136 which was marked WONTFIX which is very similar to what I am looking for here. The part of the reason for the wontfix is Juk is "currently following the KDE style guide behavior". I know the bug is almost than 10 years old, so does the style guide behavior still hold as the reason this would continue to be a wontfix?

For now, my wish is for Juk (and other media players) to minimize to the system tray and not be in the task manager until restored. Am I asking too much? Is it in a higher version of Juk than I currently have (3.7.1)?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In Juk's settings menu, ensure "Dock in System Tray" is checked. Closing it's window will then cause it to remain in the system tray (and continue to play music). Controls for forward/back will be offered when it changes between tracks in the form of a popup.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Lady Aleena
Registered Member
OS
Dock in system tray is checked, however, it continues to be on my task manager bar and in the alt+tab list.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Notice that bcooksley said "closed" -- not minimized. Amarok works the same way; when you close the window, the application minimizes into the system tray. Minimize, and it just grays out in the panel.

Lady Aleena
Registered Member
OS