This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to disable pcspkr the "safest" way possible

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
infestor
Registered Member
OS
I disabled the goddamn pcspkr by blacklisting it:
Code: Select all
# rmmod pcspkr
# echo "blacklist pcspkr" > /etc/modprobe.d/nobeep.conf

But KDE then did smth quite the opposite: pcspkr (or pcsp as KDE calls it) became the default! ALSA tried to use pcspkr as the default sound output! I removed the blacklist and voila it was back to normal:

click the see the full size

Just how the heck can I disable the pcspkr without messing with the audio setup? :'(

(I'm, running Debian jessie, x64, KDE 4.11.3)
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
I've just placed 'rmmod ...' on each boot, without blacklisting it, and it works fine.

p.s. Were you able to change the default audio device in the settings?

infestor
Registered Member
OS
ivan wrote:I've just placed 'rmmod ...' on each boot, without blacklisting it, and it works fine.

how does one do that?

ivan wrote:p.s. Were you able to change the default audio device in the settings?

no, i wasn't able to. that's why i removed the blacklist so KDE defaulted to the appropriate device. i don't think it's possible to set defaults using that audio setup gui. you can defer the device but that doesn't do anything.
ivan
KDE Developer
OS
On debian-based systems, you just need to put it in /etc/rc.local before the 'exit 0' command.

For others, I have no clue (iirc, opensuse has something like /etc/init.d/boot.local)

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Does your system use Pulseaudio?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
infestor
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Does your system use Pulseaudio?

ALSA i think :| but how do i find out for sure?

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Pulseaudio is a sound server, which sits on top of ALSA and routes sound on a per application basis as needed.

You can check for it's presence by running "ps aux | grep -i pulse" and posting the results here. Many distributions now ship with Pulseaudio enabled by default.

KDE Sysadmin
infestor
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Pulseaudio is a sound server, which sits on top of ALSA and routes sound on a per application basis as needed.

You can check for it's presence by running "ps aux | grep -i pulse" and posting the results here. Many distributions now ship with Pulseaudio enabled by default.

Code: Select all
~$ ps aux | grep -i pulse
semko     4557  0.0  0.0  10352   888 pts/2    R+   12:32   0:00 grep -i pulse
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Your system doesn't appear to be using Pulseaudio in that case. Which Phonon backend does your system use? You may also wish to ensure that the "System Bell" options in System Settings are disabled, as they could be triggering or attempting to access the PC speaker.

KDE Sysadmin