This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Notification sound on volume change not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kriko
Registered Member
OS
I'm having problems with the popping sound on volume change - system is opensuse 13.1 on a Thinkpad T400 laptop.
On my desktop machine it works - I get a nice popping sound when I press the volume up / down key.
This was tested in kde 4.11.x and 4.12.x (PC and laptop).

Observing the PC there is an application that shows up in kmix - audio-volume-change when pressing volume keys, the same doesn't happen on my laptop.
What could be the cause?

I further tested this on live opensuse GNOME cd and Ubuntu 13.10 - the popping sound works there, it's just an issue with KDE somehow.
UPDATE: tested with Kubuntu 13.10 - doesn't work either. Must be something with KDE and thinkpad key mappings? xev says they are registered properly.

Last edited by kriko on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
What Popping sound and why would you want that? I for sure don't want to have a popping sound when I click on the volume button.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
kriko
Registered Member
OS
It's a notification sound when you change the volume - like in windows, gnome, etc - indicating the level of current volume. So you don't get surprised when you start playing something and it's at full volume :)
rdieter
Registered Member
OS
The volume feedback feature isn't enabled by default (though some distros may toggle that). Look for option labelled "Volume feedback" in kmix configuration settings.
rdieter
Registered Member
OS
rdieter wrote:The volume feedback feature isn't enabled by default (though some distros may toggle that). Look for option labelled "Volume feedback" in kmix configuration settings.

Oh, and... it happens to only work if you're using pulseaudio (in case you're not using it for whatever reason).
kriko
Registered Member
OS
Thanks! I missed this very obvious option - I thought it has to do something with multimedia keys, since it worked out of the box on pc.
Marked as solved.